ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all. Been a long cold winter here. It has been quite a while since I've had descent weather not to mention TIME to dig out my X-Terra 705. Between work and home there is an old park. I finally remembered to toss all of my gear into the truck and stop on the way home to sweep. I just bought this detector last year and have really had little swing time. So, before embarking on a hunting excursion, I had to brush up on the "How To" of this machine. I watched some youtube videos and read a lot of posts. I made a target ID chart and carry it with me also. The first thing I do after getting my equipment out and looking it over is run the quick test and setup. I use auto GB and use discrimination pattern 1.
The first day out in this park, I only found 3 clad pennies and an old gas cap. They hold antique tractor shows there 2-3 times a year and I imagine this cap came off of one of these. Although it was about 6" deep. Must have been from an OLD show. LOL
Things were working as expected and target ID was good as well as depth readings were accurate. I was feeling pretty confident and getting comfortable with the 705. Then the next day, I stopped again. I went through the usual routine of setup with channel and GB, then started swinging. I got a lot of hits and was able to pinpoint the targets. But to my dismay, I was digging nothing but aluminum pop-tops (some old), tin can pull tops and aluminum foil. The problem is I was getting readings all across the scale. From solid signals of 4 to 44 and everywhere in between. Going at different angles produced the same location and target ID number. So, they looked like solid targets. What I mean is the ID stayed the same no matter the direction of sweep. For the life of me I have no clue why the machine was misidentifying the targets. I thought I had hit on a gold piece when I received an ID of 6-12 and possibly a gold coin with a reading of 26-34 only to find it to be a piece of junk aluminum.
I plan on making more trips to this park and will continue my learning of this machine. I enjoy unearthing history and at least I'm doing my part by cleaning up the trash from this park. :)
Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated and definitely tested.
Thanks!!!
Dave

Last edited:

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, if you haven't already read Randy Horton's book on the X-Terra's, that would be my first suggestion. It's available on the Minelab website for free, and is downloadable. You may have to register as a Minelab member, but that's easy enough.

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran a 705 for a while. The best thing I ever did was turn the discrimination off and use 99 tone. It's a great machine for coin shooting.

OP
OP
ezman604

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had downloaded Randy's book and have read through PART of it previously. Guess it's time to make time to finish it.
:)
Thanks for the reminder.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had downloaded Randy's book and have read through PART of it previously. Guess it's time to make time to finish it.
:)
Thanks for the reminder.
When you get done reading, go play. Then come home and re-read it. The more familiar that you get with your machine, the more you will get out of the book.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing my machine did. ID on a clad Kennedy was +2 I dig them as I've found necklace clasp there. Among all other crazy numbers the machine will no longer repeat on anything no matter the depth. After 3 RMAs I decided to just buy a new machine. You aren't losing your mind, you know how to use the machine. I have a 4th RMA waiting but after talking to the Tech instead of asking about the machine he did what these guys did (it's you not the machine)It's broke and these fellas want you to adapt to a broken machine by using the "beep and dig method" if you're gonna do that you might as well get a Tesoro. Next time out ground balance in the same exact spot 4 times auto and see what #s you get. My "perfectly working machine" will auto ground from 30 on one cycle then 60 next. Once you get it to repeat a GB setting leave it and see if it's better.
You can also use GB tracking it will change all the #s you know but at least Some things might repeat. Have you noticed a change in EMI interference or noise cancel use?
You can also force a factory reset and try the "target stability mode" when on a + sign will be on the upper left top of display.
I don't get machines for free for pushing product or work for any detecting company...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread