Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. Grab a handful of dirt and wave it in front of your coil...saves a lot of pinpointing time :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. Grab a handful of dirt and wave it in front of your coil...saves a lot of pinpointing time :)

It's all down to style. I wear a ring on each hand & it still takes me less than 30 seconds after I dig without a pinpointer. The 'first grab' technique becomes second nature when practiced.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all down to style. I wear a ring on each hand & it still takes me less than 30 seconds after I dig without a pinpointer. The 'first grab' technique becomes second nature when practiced.

I'm speaking more for when someone is videoing their dig and they only have one hand. It's easier if you dig the hole, spread the dirt with your foot, run your coil over the dirt to narrow down the target then grab where you think the target is and run it over your coil. In my opinion it's quicker than with a pinpointer. I mainly use my pinpointer if the target is still in the bottom or sidewall of the hole so I don't drive my shovel through the target. You're correct though it's all style but I do like to point out the common sense approach especially if I see someone getting frustrated with trying to pinpoint.

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great video Digger! Good times had by all.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm speaking more for when someone is videoing their dig and they only have one hand. It's easier if you dig the hole, spread the dirt with your foot, run your coil over the dirt to narrow down the target then grab where you think the target is and run it over your coil. In my opinion it's quicker than with a pinpointer. I mainly use my pinpointer if the target is still in the bottom or sidewall of the hole so I don't drive my shovel through the target. You're correct though it's all style but I do like to point out the common sense approach especially if I see someone getting frustrated with trying to pinpoint.
Yeap, I do the same, beep beep (none of that swinging it over the target from every direction), 1 dig of dirt (hopefully but not always), spread with foot (as you say), 1 grab, then I tend to split in half whilst squeezing them into balls of dirt, then drop 1, go over it, & continue. Never do I use my knees or a pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread