Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this token with religious scripture on it.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Johns 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Its the same size as a penny and made of aluminium. The name CROSS along with USA are stamped at the bottom of one side. I know its a religious token but would love to know more about its age and the maker. If anyone has any information on it please share.
Thanks for looking.
The Groundhog
20230614_115213.jpg
20230614_115153.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help much, but there's a 'similar' one on the Numista site here, marked "A CROSS PRODUCT - U.S.A" struck in aluminium:

It would seem too much of coincidence for a supplier of religious tokens to be from someone named "Cross" as a surname, so presumably this was just a commercial name.

I would guess these were for Communion, Sunday School attendance or whatever or just as pocket pieces for the faithful. No clues to dating, but aluminium tokens aren't commonly seen before about 1890.

It's a difficult Google search, even using exclusion terms, to try and find a "Cross" company that might have produced church tokens or other religious paraphernalia.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Groundhogg

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't help much, but there's a 'similar' one on the Numista site here, marked "A CROSS PRODUCT - U.S.A" struck in aluminium:

It would seem too much of coincidence for a supplier of religious tokens to be from someone named "Cross" as a surname, so presumably this was just a commercial name.

I would guess these were for Communion, Sunday School attendance or whatever or just as pocket pieces for the faithful. No clues to dating, but aluminium tokens aren't commonly seen before about 1890.

It's a difficult Google search, even using exclusion terms, to try and find a "Cross" company that might have produced church tokens or other religious paraphernalia.
Thanks for the lead. The Numista site is definitely one I need to add to my reference list. I also ran into trouble with a search using "cross". No matter how I worded it the results were overwhelming in numbers. Thanks again.

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the lead. The Numista site is definitely one I need to add to my reference list. I also ran into trouble with a search using "cross". No matter how I worded it the results were overwhelming in numbers. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Another one here on the Token Catalog site, also marked "A CROSS PRODUCT U.S.A" and with the words "A GOSPEL COIN". Unfortunately, no clues to maker or date:

Upvote 1

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Save of the religious token.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions