Repost Historical Photos

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm posting some fine old photos of my wife's family the Gashes from Asheville, NC. William Leander Gash entered West Point in 1870.
He was expelled for disrespecting an upper classman and subsequently went to Texas and became a schoolteacher. And was either injured or got sick and wound up marrying his nurse, Susan Taylor. They started their family in Brownsville, Tx.
Neg 6 2.jpg The Gashes 2.jpg Wagons East 2.jpg Gash Farm-Original Buildings 2.jpg
Wm Leander & Sue (2).jpg Alabama Taxi 2.jpg

In the 1890s they moved from Texas to Asheville, by wagon train, to reclaim the Gash homestead that was a land grant for their Revolutionary Service and included the entire East End of what is now the city of Asheville. They built a new home there as well as some smaller log cabins for the grown children from native timber. They grew old together and were blessed with seeing their children
grow into larger than life folks like themselves. They must have bought the first camera they ever saw and took hundreds of photos.
Sue was the shutter bug and used to pile the daughters into the Model T touring car and just drive and tour the country. The boys were very mechanically inclined and built a sawmill from a Model T chassis. The last photo shows the junk man hauling off the body of the car. Sue was not only the photographer but loved to dress up and was quite photogenic herself.

Sue's parting shot!

Sue Taylor Gash 2.jpg

When WL passed the legend says he was buried in his West Point great coat. When we cleaned out my mother in laws estate
we found a small box full of round silver plated buttons with no markings. The exact number from a cadet's great coat.
Legend was nothing shiny was buried with the body because it might attract the devil.
Thanks for looking!

Upvote 10

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read boy they were tuff back in those days hickory sticks expelled lol Great pictures and good read I wish I had stuff like that on the history of my family Thanks for sharing Tommy Happy Easter also

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back at you Tommy!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, some nice history and photos:icon_thumright:

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Amazing history, and thanks for sharing it!

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome all, Thanks Brendan!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions