Rest Camp

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked with a local historian in my area a few years back and told him I was looking for a skirmish site in my area and he lived close by. He told me where he thought the skirmish happened and I went looking. I secured permission and went to work. After about ten minutes I had over 20 mini balls in my pouch. Over the next few years my uncle, father, friend and I dug over 300 mini balls out of the ridge. I researched the battle and it was the battle of Leipers Ferry at the Blount county, Knox Co line at the Tennessee River. I couldn't believe I was the first to detect a civil war site as they are so rare to come by. After talking with the historian again he told me of another site he said he believed was never found. Nearby the Leipers Ferry site, he said there was a Confederate camp that was so secure that the soldiers would go there to get rest thus Rest Camp. I have looked for info on this site for a long time now and it just seems to be a ghost camp. He swears to it from research but respectfully wont tell any info he knows due to his wishes to keep it secure. The question is- has anyone in East Tennessee ever heard of this camp or how is the best way to research the camp.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread