What's new

Results of a bored Dragoon soldier?!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
1,235
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Result's of a bored Dragoon soldier?!

Me and my hunting buddy went back to our Dragoon Fort site yesterday that we have hammered to death.
The Dragoons were at this site only from October 1842-April 1843 to keep settlers from forcing the Indians from their land. Two-thirds of the site was washed away by the river.
We are down to digging the "nail" signals! I did dig two musketballs, also.
I got a 'typical" nail signal (nulling with a squeak) & because I was bored at not digging anything (& it sounded just slightly different) I decided to dig it........Was very surprised when at 9" (& on edge) I broke open the clump to see the small, reeded edge! Knew it was going to be a "goodie" so walked a quarter mile back to the car to get a bottle of water to clean it.Was kind of dissapointed when I washed the face and saw it was an 1833 Capped Bust 5c that had been beaten "severely about the head & shoulders"
cry.gif

I'm guessing it was done by a bored soldier during that long, cold, winter in their make-shift "fort" (was a Fur Trading post).
We have found about 20-30 "Dragoon" & "Great Coat" buttons & other artifacts on this site but only an 1842 Seated 10c & half a dozen LC's.

Iowa Dale
 

Attachments

  • capped bust-10-24-15 012.webp
    capped bust-10-24-15 012.webp
    150.5 KB · Views: 182
  • capped bust-10-24-15 011.webp
    capped bust-10-24-15 011.webp
    142.6 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 30
...Was kind of dissapointed when I washed the face and saw it was an 1833 Capped Bust 5c that had been beaten "severely about the head & shoulders"
cry.gif
...
great_find.gif
You are nuts! That was a great find - think about the history and the last soldier to touch it - super find!
 
That is still a nice piece of history you found there.
 
That's a killer coin with a very unique history buddy
 
I guess you can put it under the category of getting a Hammered/Milled silver Dale. Cool as heck as you know it wasn't a road kill, more like you said boredom.
 
You guys sure are dedicated. That is one great find. It's the 1st Capped Bust 5 cent coin I have seen here.
 
You guys sure are dedicated. That is one great find. It's the 1st Capped Bust 5 cent coin I have seen here.
Loco, we just love hunting really old sites!
It's my third Capped 5c & my seventh Capped silver overall.........Not bad for Iowa!
Thanx for the nice comments, everone!

Iowa Dale
 
I can see why you might be a little disappointed with the condition, but don't be, that's a GREAT coin!! I'd kill for that!! Nice dig at 9", and thanks for sharing. Cheers and HH
 
Might have been stomped on by horses for a while
 
Might have been stomped on by horses for a while
Relic Lover.....You might be onto something there! It sure could have been lost in the corral.........

Iowa Dale
 
Sweet American hammered!
 
Don't see those very often, a rare find and cool because it has been worked over by a soldier.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom