First water hunt of the year brings a gold and 4 silvers, a noteworthy coin spill at the scout camp and a 1920s DB hubcap

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went camping with the family this past weekend and the swim ropes were in so I could do some detecting in the water. This park is heavily detected and I covered a lot of it last fall right before they took the swim ropes out so it hasn’t had many people swimming since then to loose new goodies. The freezing and thawing does move things around so I was hoping for something, but not expecting a lot. I use the ATPro in the water. It is set with iron audio on, iron disc at 30, and sensitivity 2 or 3 down from max (depending on conditions). I am a digger so anything that sounds the least bit good gets scooped up. I also scoop strong iron signals because they can mask better targets (and when you are talking about earring backs and small earrings they are easily masked by bobbie pins and nails).

I spent 7.5 hours in the water and 3 hours on the dry sand beaches. Most of the coins came off the beach and most of the jewelry came from the water. All together 23 coins with a face value of $1.52, a nice pile of tabs, some small bits of non ferrous metal, a mushroom hat pin, some selfie stick retainers, a dog pin, a plated chain with a crucifix on it, a cheapie carabiner, 4 starter pistol blanks, a clasp, earring backs, sinkers, a nice batch of cheapie earrings, a gold earring, 3 silver earrings, a silver earring back, a cute little cross, a big batch of foil, hair pins and ferrous selfie stick retainers.

E4FDEE16-FA00-4124-B112-56EF85C59FD4.jpeg

The gold earring is 14k and range up 39 to 42 on the VDI. I don’t pay a lot of attention to the VDI readings, but I thought some of you might be interested. If it sounds the least big mid or high I go for it. (When in doubt, dig it out.) The 3 silver earrings are all marked 925 and the earring back is as well. I tested the stones and no good ones this time, just czs. Not my best gold and silver haul, but not my worst either. At least I found my first gold of the new year that I started the first of May.

20F59F8F-7C2B-4E33-AED7-3B54E8E9FDA6.jpeg

I claim KING OF THE SMALL WATER STUFF, for all the tiny junk, small foil and earring backs I scoop up. Anyone want to challenge for the title? LOL

I have been finding a lot of the selfie stick retainers in the water and it has puzzled me as to how so many of them got there and I finally realized they are not from selfie sticks at all, but instead from the small nets with extendable handles that kids use to try and catch minnows in the swimming area. The same construction as a selfie stick just used differently.

506A0E29-B597-444B-90EB-1F93F305A1D7.jpeg

As I was working the beach I notices several batches of toad eggs in the water. Toads live on land but lay their eggs in the water. They hatch and become tadpoles just like frogs eggs and leave the water after they grow their legs. You can tell frog egg from toad eggs because toads lay their eggs in strings and frogs lay them in clumps like bunches of grapes. Later on I saw the toads doing their thing. (I was so embarrassed for them LOL)

EF98DC7B-5244-4964-AA07-D68BB405DDEB.jpeg

012A2894-4258-4ECE-B99A-1D7CF2A228E0.jpeg

I took my weekly 80 mile round trip to the scout camp to continue in the site I started last time. I had good luck last week with lots of coins and decent extras. Hoping for more good luck and I got some.

I spent 6 hours with the CZ21 and found 412 coins (264 pennies) with a face value of $23.19, 36 tent pegs (including a big Bertha with registration number), a fork, a dead pocket knife, 6 rope tensioners, a fishing swivel, the brass end of a scout web belt, a sinker, 2 padlock keys, a brass top off a plaque, a Japanese coin, 2 tokens, a few tabs and a few bits of melted aluminum.

07F48622-64E3-4972-930E-05E2FE2F0E41.jpeg

9B090BD2-C931-4A62-8660-3AEC3FA48E61.jpeg

A8D5DB43-8CE9-41C3-B6B4-BF15AD146DDF.jpeg

The Japanese coin is a 5 yen minted between 1986 and 2019. The tokens are a NAMCO (I’ve found several of these) and a WILDSIDE NO CASH VALUE token. Not super special, but variety makes things interesting.

D1E83BEB-5C35-44DF-A3CE-0E4B20FC6877.jpeg

I found one of my best spills in 20 years. The best spill ever for coin face value. I was detecting the staff site in one of the areas and they have permanent floor boards with a wooden frame the tent goes over. They have electricity and a shelf unit. These floor boards rest on the ground on one side and because of a slight incline the other side is about 6 inches off the ground. I was working my way around the different boards when I turned the corner on the lower side where a tree was up against the boards I got a nice signal. I raked my hand through the leaves so I could pinpoint and I looked down on a pile of coins. (See picture below) I started picking the coins out of the leaves and putting them in my pouch. I kept raking my hand under the edge of the floor boards and pinpointing coins. After I thought I had them all I swung my detector under the edge and just about 6 inches away I got another signal and I raked out another pile of coins. I didn’t keep count of the number of coins, but I did a tally of the coins except the pennies and it was $9.35. There were at least 30 pennies as well as 2 tokens in the mix. I estimate it was at least 90 to 95 coins in the spill. That’s what I like, easy money LOL. Now I did find more coins in a spill with over 300 pennies in the same hole once and better quality when I found 40 silver dimes (some still stacked like they came from a lost partial roll of dimes), but this is definitely a spill to remember.

112F4C72-1DDE-440D-AE96-2D41ABAEBE84.jpeg

It was time to go back to the new permission with the nice variety, but no silver. It was built in 1925 so I was still hoping for silver, but it was not to be.

It only took 2.5 hours to finish the front and side yards. I found 13 coins with a face value of $0.68, a piece of a harmonica reed, a nicely painted lead soldier, a lead whatzit with a piece of ferrous metal imbedded in it, part of a religious medal, 3 wheaties, tabs and bits of aluminum siding trimmed off during the installation. No silver in this yard. It may have been cherry picked before the current owners took possession or the folks that have lived there where poor and just didn’t lose anything put pennies. We will never know.

8C48B70B-1486-4F13-AE62-105397613CBF.jpeg

My water treatment service man got me permission to detect the business property. I have no idea what was there originally, but I figured you never know what is there until you look and I will detect just about anywhere I can get permission so I took a few hours and did a survey hunt.

I spent 2.5 hours going over the property. There was a lot of canslaw, but I did manage to find 2 dimes and 14 pennies, a few brass shell casings and an old hub cap. The hubcap is in bad shape, but it has a DB on it so it is a DODGE BROTHERS hubcap from the 1920s. A very unusual find for me. Too bad it got mashed in by a mower or dozer.

C805B581-70B1-479F-B083-6DF82431381C.jpeg

I had some time left so I went to a little local park I have never detected before. I spent an hour cherry picking and found 48 coins with a face value of $2.60, a toy truck, a sinker, a key and a half, a fresh earring and a few bits of junk.

191EB77C-8A8D-48B0-BD74-DB2C3A1CF7CB.jpeg

This week I also found a few pennies and a dime on our nightly walks as well as a quarter and a 1940 wheatie from the coin star at the market. Nothing great, but at least I’m still finding stuff all over the place.

Another good week on the books with a first gold for the new year, a little silver, piles of clad and some interesting stuff to make life fun. The weather has warmed up almost too much, but it’s better than snow. Life is good, so enjoy it while it lasts. We never know what tomorrow will bring. Stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 6DE2E1A4-1EB8-4A85-A2DF-43B0EB6F622F.jpeg
    6DE2E1A4-1EB8-4A85-A2DF-43B0EB6F622F.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 6AF45244-D8B6-4ED8-9366-33D715AB68A5.jpeg
    6AF45244-D8B6-4ED8-9366-33D715AB68A5.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 23

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went camping with the family this past weekend and the swim ropes were in so I could do some detecting in the water. This park is heavily detected and I covered a lot of it last fall right before they took the swim ropes out so it hasn’t had many people swimming since then to loose new goodies. The freezing and thawing does move things around so I was hoping for something, but not expecting a lot. I use the ATPro in the water. It is set with iron audio on, iron disc at 30, and sensitivity 2 or 3 down from max (depending on conditions). I am a digger so anything that sounds the least bit good gets scooped up. I also scoop strong iron signals because they can mask better targets (and when you are talking about earring backs and small earrings they are easily masked by bobbie pins and nails).

I spent 7.5 hours in the water and 3 hours on the dry sand beaches. Most of the coins came off the beach and most of the jewelry came from the water. All together 23 coins with a face value of $1.52, a nice pile of tabs, some small bits of non ferrous metal, a mushroom hat pin, some selfie stick retainers, a dog pin, a plated chain with a crucifix on it, a cheapie carabiner, 4 starter pistol blanks, a clasp, earring backs, sinkers, a nice batch of cheapie earrings, a gold earring, 3 silver earrings, a silver earring back, a cute little cross, a big batch of foil, hair pins and ferrous selfie stick retainers.

View attachment 2027740

The gold earring is 14k and range up 39 to 42 on the VDI. I don’t pay a lot of attention to the VDI readings, but I thought some of you might be interested. If it sounds the least big mid or high I go for it. (When in doubt, dig it out.) The 3 silver earrings are all marked 925 and the earring back is as well. I tested the stones and no good ones this time, just czs. Not my best gold and silver haul, but not my worst either. At least I found my first gold of the new year that I started the first of May.

View attachment 2027741

I claim KING OF THE SMALL WATER STUFF, for all the tiny junk, small foil and earring backs I scoop up. Anyone want to challenge for the title? LOL

I have been finding a lot of the selfie stick retainers in the water and it has puzzled me as to how so many of them got there and I finally realized they are not from selfie sticks at all, but instead from the small nets with extendable handles that kids use to try and catch minnows in the swimming area. The same construction as a selfie stick just used differently.

View attachment 2027744

As I was working the beach I notices several batches of toad eggs in the water. Toads live on land but lay their eggs in the water. They hatch and become tadpoles just like frogs eggs and leave the water after they grow their legs. You can tell frog egg from toad eggs because toads lay their eggs in strings and frogs lay them in clumps like bunches of grapes. Later on I saw the toads doing their thing. (I was so embarrassed for them LOL)

View attachment 2027742

View attachment 2027743

I took my weekly 80 mile round trip to the scout camp to continue in the site I started last time. I had good luck last week with lots of coins and decent extras. Hoping for more good luck and I got some.

I spent 6 hours with the CZ21 and found 412 coins (264 pennies) with a face value of $23.19, 36 tent pegs (including a big Bertha with registration number), a fork, a dead pocket knife, 6 rope tensioners, a fishing swivel, the brass end of a scout web belt, a sinker, 2 padlock keys, a brass top off a plaque, a Japanese coin, 2 tokens, a few tabs and a few bits of melted aluminum.

View attachment 2027749

View attachment 2027747

View attachment 2027745

The Japanese coin is a 5 yen minted between 1986 and 2019. The tokens are a NAMCO (I’ve found several of these) and a WILDSIDE NO CASH VALUE token. Not super special, but variety makes things interesting.

View attachment 2027746

I found one of my best spills in 20 years. The best spill ever for coin face value. I was detecting the staff site in one of the areas and they have permanent floor boards with a wooden frame the tent goes over. They have electricity and a shelf unit. These floor boards rest on the ground on one side and because of a slight incline the other side is about 6 inches off the ground. I was working my way around the different boards when I turned the corner on the lower side where a tree was up against the boards I got a nice signal. I raked my hand through the leaves so I could pinpoint and I looked down on a pile of coins. (See picture below) I started picking the coins out of the leaves and putting them in my pouch. I kept raking my hand under the edge of the floor boards and pinpointing coins. After I thought I had them all I swung my detector under the edge and just about 6 inches away I got another signal and I raked out another pile of coins. I didn’t keep count of the number of coins, but I did a tally of the coins except the pennies and it was $9.35. There were at least 30 pennies as well as 2 tokens in the mix. I estimate it was at least 90 to 95 coins in the spill. That’s what I like, easy money LOL. Now I did find more coins in a spill with over 300 pennies in the same hole once and better quality when I found 40 silver dimes (some still stacked like they came from a lost partial roll of dimes), but this is definitely a spill to remember.

View attachment 2027748

It was time to go back to the new permission with the nice variety, but no silver. It was built in 1925 so I was still hoping for silver, but it was not to be.

It only took 2.5 hours to finish the front and side yards. I found 13 coins with a face value of $0.68, a piece of a harmonica reed, a nicely painted lead soldier, a lead whatzit with a piece of ferrous metal imbedded in it, part of a religious medal, 3 wheaties, tabs and bits of aluminum siding trimmed off during the installation. No silver in this yard. It may have been cherry picked before the current owners took possession or the folks that have lived there where poor and just didn’t lose anything put pennies. We will never know.

View attachment 2027750

My water treatment service man got me permission to detect the business property. I have no idea what was there originally, but I figured you never know what is there until you look and I will detect just about anywhere I can get permission so I took a few hours and did a survey hunt.

I spent 2.5 hours going over the property. There was a lot of canslaw, but I did manage to find 2 dimes and 14 pennies, a few brass shell casings and an old hub cap. The hubcap is in bad shape, but it has a DB on it so it is a DODGE BROTHERS hubcap from the 1920s. A very unusual find for me. Too bad it got mashed in by a mower or dozer.

View attachment 2027753

I had some time left so I went to a little local park I have never detected before. I spent an hour cherry picking and found 48 coins with a face value of $2.60, a toy truck, a sinker, a key and a half, a fresh earring and a few bits of junk.

View attachment 2027754

This week I also found a few pennies and a dime on our nightly walks as well as a quarter and a 1940 wheatie from the coin star at the market. Nothing great, but at least I’m still finding stuff all over the place.

Another good week on the books with a first gold for the new year, a little silver, piles of clad and some interesting stuff to make life fun. The weather has warmed up almost too much, but it’s better than snow. Life is good, so enjoy it while it lasts. We never know what tomorrow will bring. Stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
What a great write up. Congrats on the jewelry!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You certainly dig a lot of smalls, nothing gets away from your ears.
Well done in the water and the spill of coins.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2027740

View attachment 2027741

View attachment 2027744

View attachment 2027742

View attachment 2027743

View attachment 2027749

View attachment 2027747

View attachment 2027745

View attachment 2027746

View attachment 2027748

View attachment 2027750

View attachment 2027753

View attachment 2027754

wow, great variety of finds and write up. thanks for taking me along with an excellent post.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, great variety of finds and write up. thanks for taking me along with an excellent post.
Thank you. You are welcome to tag along anytime you wish. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2027740

View attachment 2027741

View attachment 2027744

View attachment 2027742

View attachment 2027743

View attachment 2027749

View attachment 2027747

View attachment 2027745

View attachment 2027746

View attachment 2027748

View attachment 2027750

View attachment 2027753

View attachment 2027754

Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you could wear out a couple of digging shovels in a few days LOL Nice and thanks for sharing

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kudos to you for recovering all of that scrap aluminum, you sure saved a lot of people trips to the doctor for a tetanus shot. Love your posts my friend, wish every Tnet member put in this amount of effort! :thumbsup:

By far your best find... countrified mushroom! :laughing7:
Dave

E4FDEE16-FA00-4124-B112-56EF85C59FD4-crop.jpeg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt as usual tnt-hunter !! Congrats on the first water hunt of the year !! Lots of targets !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions