cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff and I went back this morning to the old estate that we received permission to hunt...our first trip was awesome, found some really old stuff including a Fugio Cent:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/551153-colonial-era-sweet-spot.html#post5509473

We were there about 3 and a half hours, beautiful weather, no bugs, sunny and cool. There is a small section, can't be more than 100' square, that we wanted to continue in. I have no idea what was in this spot, we can't find any maps that show it in detail, but the amount of 18th and 19th-century targets is like nothing I've ever experienced. Buttons and buckles everywhere, plus all assortment of carriage parts and brass hardware. As far as I can guess, it must have been a stagecoach stop.

Not long after we arrived, we started pulling coppers out again. Most of them are no more than 6 inches down, and so far they're almost all George IIs. One right after another! Then about an hour in I finally found old silver! I knew there had to be capped bust coins in this spot, and sure enough I recovered an 1833 dime, and a braided ring very close by. Also found a cool 1863 token from a fruit purveyor in Albany.

image.jpeg

Jeff had a great morning too, both with the coppers and a key date 1872 Indian Head cent. I'll post some more photos of the other items soon, we'll be going back again hopefully this week.

Thanks again for looking,
and Happy Hunting!

Steve

Upvote 49

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man,that is very impressive group of coins and even more impressive in one hunt! Very nice. Congrats. HH

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt. What are the dates on the KG's? One looks like 1775

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pound that spot to DEATH! Don't skip anything. Well done!

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt. What are the dates on the KG's? One looks like 1775
Hey Hogge,
Oldest one is 1738, that one is in really nice shape, best I've ever found. The rest are up from there as far as I can tell but none of the other dates are as clear. So far all are George II except on George III.

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, awesome saves and permission....looks as though this place has never been touched...but then again, you may just be that good...:thumbsup:

I think the first thing you said! Don't know if I'm as patient as I could be, but I'll tell you I've never moved so slowly!

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great fun Steve... but I'm totally getting spoiled since this my first hunt!

Do we really have to wait until next week to go back???? Thanks again Jeff for doing the heavy lifting and getting us access, I'm psyched to start exploring some other sections and see what else might be in there. And congrats on the silver! Post your photos, these guys would love to see some of your impressive newbie finds!

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unreal coin shooting there mate. I would have put up a tent and kept going all night until I keeled over.:headbang:

I wish...job and family keep me otherwise a busy man, but believe me I'll be squeezing in as much time there as I possibly can.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A really fine hunt. Love the coppers and bust dime. A bust coin is high on my bucket list.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG SOMEONE GOT SOME NICE FINDS...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread