Return to the Potato Field - Day 2 - 13th C SEAL MATRIX !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today the ground started off frozen & slowing thawed out. It's the start of the first of the 'real Winter cold', so far it's been a super mild one.8-) :laughing7:
We gridded for 5 hours & funny enough ended up with exactly the same number of buttons as the last outing - 53.
No hammered today, which is a little odd but the Seal more than made up for it.

1 Scrappy
2 Neolithic Flints; 1 with lots of napping went into it.
Bronze Nail
Lead Stylus
Early Medieval Decorated Spindal Whorl
Circa 13th C Medieval Vesica Seal Matrix - These shaped ones are normally from Churches/Monasteries. It's a rare find for us & I've never seen a decorated reverse before.:headbang:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 32
outstanding :occasion14:

Very nice CRU!!!! Love the rootbeer coloring on the artifacts as much as everything else! :occasion14:

that's some outstanding find and more buttons than I would find in a year. that seal is very cool and nice pictures. congrats on all

Nice seal, and nice neolithics! I'm a softie for that rich English flint, really lovely material. Have you ever found nice points in your years of swinging? Ever find the unique trapezoidal Tranchet arrowheads in your area?

That seal matrix is an incredible relic! I’d be really happy to just find one from the 18th century

Nice seal, and nice neolithics! I'm a softie for that rich English flint, really lovely material. Have you ever found nice points in your years of swinging? Ever find the unique trapezoidal Tranchet arrowheads in your area?

Plumbata, neolithic is the first people make a living with farming the land, so hunting related items are rare. I have many neolithic artefacts found in the fields since i was a kid but never a point. :dontknow:

Very nice finds

Nice hunt, awesome finds, Congrats... "D"

still loving the flint. that seal is killer, especially for what it was used for

Great finds! That seal matrix is very nice! :occasion14:

Where are your dirty wheaty pennies?

Arrow-heads are extremely rare in our area, I've been lucky to record the one below which is less than a hand-ful of recorded examples;
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/352631-taking-risk-pays-off.html#post3352492

I have heard of some barbed & tanged types being found in the UK, like the below;
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/614388
In fact Silver-Searcher gave me a nice one that I treasure, as I'm unlikely to ever see one!

We also see a few Leaf-shaped ones recorded.

Last edited:
Very cool seal, congrats!

That's the dream good job. Thanks for sharing . These are some of my favorite posts Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back