What's new

Rev War Button?!

BeenFishin

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2016
Messages
323
Reaction score
1,213
Golden Thread
1
Location
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Over the past month or so ive been doing research on finding good places to hunt via an old town map from the 1700s and google maps. I chose a place that seemed promising a few days ago and have been dreaming about it since. Today i left work early and drove right to the property to ask permission. Of cource the very nice people that lived there were ok with me hunting the property, and so i hit it. Clad, clad, clad, modern button, clad. After three hours on the property, feeling defeated, and only about half an hour till the sun disappears, i decide to pack my gear up and head back home. Apon ariving home i see that the field of cover crop behind my house had been freshly cut. As the light from the "golden hour" dressed all the land with its yellow-orange-gold tint i hurridly aproached the field and started to swing. After a couple junk targets i pull up an indian head penny. The light is fading fast. I turn around at the edge of the field to do my return path to the other side and move a few feet when i get a jumpy positive signal. I dig it up and to my surprise i see a two peice button. Its old. I took out my tooth brush and gently brushed the dirt off the front to reveal a beautiful "22" surrounded by leaves. I turned it over and for sure the shank was intact. I was able to make out "london" on the bottom of the button. Can someone please confirm or dispute that this a 22nd regiment officers button from the revolutionary war? Please? Let me go to sleep?!
IMG_8863.webpIMG_8864.webp
 
Upvote 12
That's a post 1830 British Button. The three piece button was invented about that time.
 
I'm not sure on an ID, but it's certainly a cool button. Can't wait to see what the experts say. My gut tells me it's later than Rev War, but what do I know!
 
Neat button here's hoping you get a positive id.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
So far im gonna go with smokey the cat. Thanks for the info. Hopefully some magic button expert can get a little more specific.
 
It a British 22nd Regiment of Foot (Cheshire Regiment).
The button construction looks post 1850 but its hard to pin down the date because the maker/manufacturer Charles Reeves made these for a long time & the Street name in London is needed to pin it down or a book on Military buttons which I don't own.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1853-1863[/FONT]

[TD="width: 161"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Charles Reeves [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 180"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 8 Aire Street, Piccadilly [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 217"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[/TD]

[TD="width: 83"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1902-1909 [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 161"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Charles Reeves [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 180"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 18 St Martins Street [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 217"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[/TD]

[TD="width: 83"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1910-1937 [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 161"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Charles Reeves [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 180"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 9 West Street, Golden Square [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 217"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[/TD]

[TD="width: 83"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1938-1955 [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 161"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Charles Reeves [/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 180"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 9 Newburgh Street [/FONT]
[/TD]
 
Its a great looking military button. Congrats
 
Thanks Crusader! And thanks everyone else for the congrats. Not revolutionary war but still old. I wonder how it got over here.
 
That's a beauty. Congrats! Cru is the Bomb, and he always gets it right! -Lisa & John
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom