Reverse Polarity

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While using my Minelab Excalibur with Alkeline Batteries, it started to work eratic after about an hour. I turned it off figuring the batteries might be dying. When I got home, I removed the batteries and checked their strength and they needed replacing but two of them had reversed their polarity. It didn't damage my Excalibur as I recharged the batteries and it worked fine all day. What would cause a battery to reverse itself from positive to negative and vice versa? With continued use, would it have harmed my Excalibur's circuits? Thanks for your input.

Harry

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
What you are describing is a "Cell Reversal" . This is defined as Reversing polarity of terminals of a cell or battery due to overdischarge. While this is what you are describing I've never heard of it happening in an alkaline battery . I'd be willing to wager these batteries are either defective from the factory (most likely) OR your detector is creating a very intesne localized drain on only a few of the batteries due to a deffect in the detector itself .

As far as if its bad for your detector to have polarities revered the answer to that is a resounding YES . I'd call the manufacturer of the batteries and see what they think .

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Too late, the batteries in question were dumped into the trash. I recharged the ni-cad and hunted with the machine for 5 hours with no problem. I bought the batteries from Big Lots, 4 AA for $2.00, they might have been defective as you said. I bought brand new Alkelines for my backup case. Thanks.
Harry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread