Revolutionary cannonball?

Ball-Newbie

Sep 13, 2020
Central PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to metal detecting and am interested in revolutionary war sites.

Though not from detecting, I may have made a mistake purchasing this possible cannonball (from ebay). I'm hoping for some learned thoughts. What are the dimensions of revolutionary cannonballs? This could be British or American. Searching the internet I found table with civil war dimensions, but nothing for standard revolutionary war sizes.

Measured on areas with less pitting the diameter seems to be 2.98". There is some raised corrosion taking the diameter to 3.04. There is also an area 1.2 x 1.7 x 0.2" of dent/damage/corrosion.

Something odd... there are two small holes about 1/4" apart (just to the right of the 'n' in Mifflin). One is about 0.08" diameter, the other maybe a third of that. I can stick a pin into one hole about 3/4"... and not straight in, but at an angle of about 45 degrees to the surface. I'm unsure about the depth/angle of the 2nd hole.

Weight: 3.381 Lb

Any help/thoughts you could provide will be appreciated. I KNOW you need to be careful purchasing from ebay. I CAN return it for another couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• ball1.jpg
    ball1.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 78
  • ball2.jpg
    ball2.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ball3.jpg
    ball3.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't really use the CW gauges for Rev and F&I war cannon balls. Cannons were used here made by the British, Americans, French, Spanish and others. Sizes went from 1" grapeshot to 13" mortar shells. The ball looks period. I'll send you a PM. There are a few dealers on ebay who sell these and add a provenance to it. The white paint is irrelevant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread