REVOLUTIONARY WAR BRITISH SOLDIER"S SWEETHESRT PIN FOUND?

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A week or so ago I listed found at my Revolutionary War site here in Maine ,called the Penobscot Expedition, three relics . All in one location in an area on a remote slope of ground halfway u a rocky cliff area . A one pound American cannon ball, a British dropped musket ball and a beautiful ladies hat stick pin. The first two the cannon ball landed from an American ship fired on British soldiers on the 28th of July 1779 defending against a ground assault before landing their troops on a beach head. The 2nd a musket ball was indeed dropped by a British soldier and found on a cliff area isolated from a main path by about 100 feet on a slope of ground defending that assault and both found where they should be. The 3rd,and maybe out of place for the period, is a stunning and beautiful ladies hat pin that after some research and help looks indeed like Athena. Thanks to Megalogdon on an ID. He wrote in an opinion "Athena (AKA MINERVA) was a Greek goddess of war and goddess of heroic actions. Since the hat pin was indeed found close to where the British soldier dropped that musket ball and in an area not close to a foot path could this be a sweetheart pin given to him before he left to go to war? If defies logic if of the Victorian era and should not be where i found it close to thst soldier who climbed down this steep cliff and on duty the day f the American assault. . So I am asking u folks out there for opinions . How it got to where it was found is a mystery. I do know hat pins have been around for many centuries and made of different materials. Silver, gold and pewter. The last called "Poor Man's silver" and was in use in the 18th century. I thought this pin was indeed silver but did not clean up as such. More like pewter. Could be plated silver with no need to clean it. It was found on a rocky ledge with some twigs and leaves over it s not a ground find as pewter often decays in the ground. Sending up pics of this relic that is about 1 1/4 with a 7 inch brass or copper pin soldered or brased on the back. It is cast . The image in my research says "Athena" and the 4 flowers appear to be British Tudor's only used in England but u tell me please. 1st pic a found and is tarnished . First and second lightly cleaned with 3rd included an officer's sleeve link found at this site and a 1750 British navy button. Both with two designs if a "Tudor Rose". Last pic found about halfway up this cliff on sloped ground. .Hey it could indeed be Victorian era but is defied by location found. It is not uncommon for loved ones to give to a soldier a momento of their love . Uploaded a pic of late 18th century cameo of Athena also showing two roses. If Victorian a wonderful find, if Revolutionary War expect one of a kind . THanks for looking and again I welcome all comments and opinions. Please Crusader weigh it if u would please. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3762.JPG
    DSCN3762.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN3763.JPG
    DSCN3763.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN3769.JPG
    DSCN3769.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN3756.JPG
    DSCN3756.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN3747.JPG
    DSCN3747.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 64
  • il_794xN.1452639904_ivbo.jpg
    il_794xN.1452639904_ivbo.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Upvote 14

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pin has nothing to do with the Revolutionary War , it is in fact an Art Nouveau period piece circa 1890- 1910 , and it does appear to be sterling silver to me - nice find ! The button and cuff link appear to be quite old ..

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your pin has nothing to do with the Revolutionary War , it is in fact an Art Nouveau period piece circa 1890- 1910 , and it does appear to be sterling silver to me - nice find ! The button and cuff link appear to be quite old ..

Argentium- Thanks and yup was leaning more to that period a well. Reads like silver on my Deus and most likely has a plating over the silver so no need to clean. So tha being known there are many paths on top of this cliff and since the 1890s Castine has welcomed both townsfolk plus visitor's to take nature walks. It is very possible a lady was walking on a very windy day and her hat was lost and landed in that location . Only explanation I can give. Thanks again and expect others will choose your opinion as well. Gary

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or she got mad at her boyfriend and tossed the pin. We almost never know "why" stuff was lost. And yes, nothing to do with the Revolution.

Last edited:

excav

Jul 16, 2011
northwest coast of ohio
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some birds, such as crows and ravens, are known to pick up shiny things and put them in their nests. Maybe sea birds too?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank u all or helping me Id this hat pin to the correct period and being art nouveau . Much appreciated. I kinda like excav's idea about the shiny objects bird thing and makes good sense. As for being mad at her boyfriend and tossed it perhaps I need to go back and look forr a ring? LOL.Gary

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. agree on Art Nouveau. That was my first reaction on seeing it. Might not be the Revolutionary War stuff you primarily hunt for, but well made Art Nouveau pieces like that are a excellent find any day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread