🥇 BANNER Revolutionary War USA Relic? No Idea, but I Know It's Old!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep in the woods today near the spot where I found a Rev War era stirrup. Got a low 70's signal 6 inches down and thought I had dug a flat button. Wiped it off and noticed that one side had grooves on it instead of a shank. Then I turned it over and saw a USA logo on it! Looks similar to the Rev War button logo, but not quite the same. It's 1" in diameter and appears to be brass.

Did some research online, but I drew a blank. No idea what this is or how old. Hoping it's Rev War, but it could be later than that. What the heck did I find?

DSC08342.JPG DSC08340.JPG DSC08345.JPG DSC08347.JPG

Upvote 115
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some cleaning up, you need to get accurate measurements of the lock plate as well as the hammer, frizzen and pan and see if any Experts on the Charleville rifles, muskets, carbines and Officer's Model weapons can pinpoint which it is from.

I'm done cleaning this relic. Won't be anything left if I try anything else! I did 18 hours of electrolysis and 2 hours with Evapo-rust. I then coated it with mineral oil, which helped to soften up and remove more of the rust. Any further cleaning would do more harm than good, in my opinion...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I have a little egg on my face per see! I should have paid more attention to the fact that the lock plate you found is in fact Steel and not Brass as the Charleville rifles, muskets, carbines and Officer's Models should have. Therefore, the lock plate could be from a 1795 Springfield or 1812 Springfield both of which appear to have Steel lock plates. The 1812 Springfield was an improvement over the 1795 Springfield which was an almost exact copy of the 1763 and 1766 Charleville Muskets. The 1795 Springfield Musket was designed by the famous Eli Whitney and although not listed, he probably had some part in designing the 1812 Springfield Musket.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry if my posts are somewhat rehashing or conflicting with previous posts on your other Thread about this lock plate! I did not see the other Thread until I went back and read some more of your posts on this Thread. So, I apologize to you and to the other posters.

If the lock plate and Ramrod were found on a path, trail or old road, I would recommend metal detecting not only on them but at the least 30 yards either side. If the firearm fell from a rider on a trotting horse or a fast moving wagon, then the parts could have scattered over a fairly wide area.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find
I am happy for you, you don't see those around
Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than a gold coin well done

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow I missed this beauty of a find! A belated Congratulations is in order, Tim!

Where is FreeBirdTim, anayway? Haven't seen him post in a while?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread