Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve been hunting the beaches extra hard this year looking for rings. Last year I ended up with 58 total, and I felt I had a good year. I surpassed that number in august and just kept going never thinking I would find number 100. I hit this one at a really trashy beach today, 14k 9.62 grams. Unless we have some kind of weather event to stir things up I’m sure I’ll never top this year.
I've been using the manticore since January, I just got the m15 coil at the end of last month. So far I like it, the separation seems good and it’s not bad to swing in the water. settings were beach low conductor, recovery speed 5 and sensitivity on 20. Ring was probably around 8 inches deep

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpeg
    IMG_4209.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    988.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4216.jpeg
    IMG_4216.jpeg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 28

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great year of ring recoveries.
Do you know the breakdown of the total?

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Congrats on the great year of ring recoveries.
Do you know the breakdown of the total?
I do,
gold 12 total 7 ,14k and 5 ,10k
silver 24
anything else tungsten ect 64
i hunted the beach so far a total of 124 times, it’s good to be retired.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
I can remember the years of 100+ GOLD and NO tungsten, cobalt or stainless rings. Also 100+ coins in a day.
Got to believe those days are long gone. Five GOLD or more in a day was not uncommon using an Excalibur Sword with the horseshoe coil once used by Andy Sabisch. 100 rings of any kind in one year takes a lot of time, hard work and dedication....Congratulations!

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I can remember the years of 100+ GOLD and NO tungsten, cobalt or stainless rings. Also 100+ coins in a day.
Got to believe those days are long gone. Five GOLD or more in a day was not uncommon using an Excalibur Sword with the horseshoe coil once used by Andy Sabisch. 100 rings of any kind in one year takes a lot of time, hard work and dedication....Congratulations!
Man, I wish I was hunting back then. The most gold I ever found in a day was 2 and that was last year. i love hunting so much that when I retired I moved so I could be closer to the beach.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this just yesterday in another thread...

"When i was a kid and was first exposed / learned about detecting... i was prolly 12ish... (80's)
I would hear stories of the veteran guys out on various local to my area beaches having days at certain times where 10ozt of gold and more in a day was not out of the question."

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I posted this just yesterday in another thread...

"When i was a kid and was first exposed / learned about detecting... i was prolly 12ish... (80's)
I would hear stories of the veteran guys out on various local to my area beaches having days at certain times where 10ozt of gold and more in a day was not out of the question."
I can’t even imagine what that was like.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice 😎Congratulations 🍹🍹🙂

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Man, I wish I was hunting back then. The most gold I ever found in a day was 2 and that was last year. i love hunting so much that when I retired I moved so I could be closer to the beach.
I got 11 gold rings one day Hunting a 4 foot in Hollywood. I came back the next 3 days and scored 17 more golds. 28 in 4 days. My best ever.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
100 is great number of rings, any rings. I like the ratios, actually, among the gold, silver and "junk" rings. Your Silver to Gold is 2:1, and I get about that here on the west Florida coast. Also your Junk to Gold is about 5-6:1, my ratio or close to it guessing. You hunted 124 times, and although the amount of time isn't noted, I would guess about 3 hrs/hunt or roughly 370 hrs. I put in 255 hrs for 11 gold and 30 silver pieces (inc bracelets and ear rings). I have never counted all the junk rings. Let's have a great 2024!!!

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
100 is great number of rings, any rings. I like the ratios, actually, among the gold, silver and "junk" rings. Your Silver to Gold is 2:1, and I get about that here on the west Florida coast. Also your Junk to Gold is about 5-6:1, my ratio or close to it guessing. You hunted 124 times, and although the amount of time isn't noted, I would guess about 3 hrs/hunt or roughly 370 hrs. I put in 255 hrs for 11 gold and 30 silver pieces (inc bracelets and ear rings). I have never counted all the junk rings. Let's have a great 2024!!!
My hunts are usually 3 hours, I ended the year with 107 total, 13 gold and 26 silver. So roughly 36 percent of the rings are precious metal. This year I’m going to keep track of gold and silver jewelry also. Hoping for a better 2024.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunts are usually 3 hours, I ended the year with 107 total, 13 gold and 26 silver. So roughly 36 percent of the rings are precious metal. This year I’m going to keep track of gold and silver jewelry also. Hoping for a better 2024.
Don't you just hate it when you have so much gold & silver it gets hard to keep track of it all?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up with 24 gold rings, 2 platinum rings, 4 gold chains, 1 gold grill, 3 gold pendants, and 4 good gold and diamond earrings. Silver was about double that, and fills up an old drinking glass...I never counted the silver stuff. I should have a much better year in 2024 because I only got my boat going at the end of summer. I'll have more spots, and hope to hit some deep spots with compressed air this year. I want one of those big ten ounce days !!

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bart, that’s about a 2 year total for me. treasure hunting is just like buying real estate, location, location, location. Florida will Always win out over Mississippi.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart, that’s about a 2 year total for me. treasure hunting is just like buying real estate, location, location, location. Florida will Always win out over Mississippi.
It's funny down here, and there is this misconception that the water season is year round. I have not been in the water in nearly 3 months now. Water temperature is in the high 60s, which is fine with a wet suit. But the wind, surf, overcast conditions, rain, short days and murky water really can keep me from hunting as much as I like. Much of the wi ter is spent land hunting for relics.....that has been slow because of weather too. We have had a winter this year, and at least 3 major storms with 20-50 mph winds gusting all the way to 70 !!

Also to maximize your chances its good to have a boat....this sounds like a huge additional cost, but in the islands you have to have a boat for other activities also, so it's just a matter of using the boat to treasure hunt. But it is much more difficult to hunt from land here in the keys when most beaches are only accessible by boat. It is a myth that the keys has beaches.....there are some beaches that can be accessed from land, but many are only accessible by boat, and are only beaches at low tide when they sometimes have dry sand....most are just small sand bars where boats congregate on the weekends. .... the one great thing is I can always go north and find the traditional beaches that most are used to hunting. I only snorkel detect and don't own a scoop. Maybe I'll get one this year 🤔

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread