Ring owner found!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
index.php

The kid found this class ring at the North Avenue Beach a couple weeks ago while we were MD'ing.? Took us sometime, including one dead end of the same initials and class, to find the original owner.? He is now out of state and was he surprised!? He lost the ring almost 20 years ago.? He offered a reward but I told him we'd settle for a good word if our name ever comes up.? The ring was definitely a recent drop, if you knew how many people work the area it's not even a remote possibility that this class ring sat near the top of the sand for 20 years.? So it's got two decades of intrigue behind it!?

Upvote 0

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Did he lose it in that same beach area?

And could it have just been buried deeply and washed back to the surface recently, or perhaps dug up by a crab or other beach animal?

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Nope, he could not recall where it was lost but it wasn't there. Country Club Hills is a good ways from the Lincoln Park area in a lot of ways. This is a Chicago city beach, the only crabs there are... well we'll leave that alone!

mikelb

Jul 23, 2004
Tim,great to see that you found that owner of that ring!You are a class act!to many people would have sold it for a $25.00 scrap value or something! WAY TO GO!,MIKE

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
How's this for circumstances leading to situations: While mailing the ring at the post office, the clerk engaged us in a conversation about how she lost her hubby's class ring 20 years ago and we'll be setting up a hunt date. The neighborhood were it was lost is wooded and little changed over the 20 years so who knows? Maybe we'll get that one back too! Hey Mike, I'll fill you in on it when we get things arranged and maybe we'll make a Monday of it. It's right downriver from you in Algonquin.

mikelb

Jul 23, 2004
TIM,sounds great lets do it!!I have monday off lets give it a try!,thanks,mike

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first gold ring (school ring also) I found I returned to it's owner also. They hadn't seen it in about 25 yrs and it looked just like the day it was dropped. The glass on top of the ring wasn't even scratched.
I think it settled down in the sand about 4 ft to the rock layer and was eventually unearthed when the river and tides ripped this layer away in a storm. She was also very stunned and happy to have gotten her ring back.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I still have not been able to return the class ring I found earlier in the year. Sent emails to each of 2 people who matched the particulars, but got no response. One of the emails was returned undeliverable. How did you trace the owner?

Also, if the ring I found was lost the year it was bought, it had been lost 25 years, and also looks like it has never been worn. It was shallow on a beach, and I'm wondering if maybe it sank deep and was later brought up shallow by kids digging holes for sand castles.

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Didn't get a good picture of the stone, but it had been abused and there was fairly apparent wear on the inside of the ring as well. As well there was none of the hard or encrusted mineraliztion anywhere on the ring to indicate it had been in the sand for 20 years. The owner told me he intended to make a point of discussing it's return at this year's 20th reunion. So maybe some of us will get some more biz!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread