Rio Grande Valley Newbie

wardog73

Dec 31, 2008
McAllen, Texas
At age 56 I find it interesting to list myself as a newbie. My wife gave me a basic Bountry Hunter MD for Christmas. I think she wants me out from under her feet. We just moved to the area of McAllen last year for work reasons. I have started looking at history sites online and maps of the areas around town. Is there a site setup to get in touch with people in this same area that is more regional or what would be the best way to meet others willing to help a "newbie" learn a little.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Welcome aboard, Im not in your area but one of the ggod things about hunting with some one is you just have to enjoy the sport, not much time to talk, so you dont have to agree on much. LOL
Im sure theres some folks in your area I suggest getting a local History book and start looking good luck.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Welcome aboard Wardog! I am originally form the Rio Grande Valley (Rio Grande City), take a look at some of my posts here in the Texas Forum. I just Moved up here to the Houston area. There are many sites that around the valley that are good for swinging that Bounty Hunter. I have one myself and is a great mochine. Try hitting some of the old parks there in McAllen especially the ones along Buisness 83 (AKA old 83). I would go up to neighboring Edingburg and visit UT PanAm. Their library is full of historical info from the valley. Alot of Mcallen and neighboring towns were nothing but citrus and cotton farms in the old days protected by Fort Brown in Brownsville and Fort Ringgold in Rio Grande City. Your neighbor to the west, Mission, is one of the older cities in the valley. Good luck, and if you need more info or a hunting buddy, let me know. Don't know when I'll be in the valley next time, but I will let you know.

OP
OP
wardog73

wardog73

Dec 31, 2008
McAllen, Texas
Thanks cooltone23. I talked with the local police and the city parks department today and found out it is okay to take the MD into parks in the city. The only restriction they gave me is no digging. According to them, if it takes a tool to get to the prize then I'm out of luck. You never know but I'm planning on my first trip tomorrow. I went to the McAllen City Library and found some interesting books on the local history along with some local maps from the late 1800s up to current layout. I've already started to put together some overlays so I can track older homes/farms/ranches to their current locations. Should be a fun start. I appreciate your input and have been checking out some of your posts. I'm pretty much reading everything at this point including a couple of books the wife got me with the detector.

Good luck, Happy New Year, HH and will follow your posts as I go along.
Wardog smiling in McAllen

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Hey bud: I live in Harlingen and we do have a informal club in the Rio Grande Vally. We have a site at www.southtxmetaldetectors.com. You can find more info there. We have montly meetings at Luby's in Weslaco and have a monthly hunt and contest. Heck, I won the last months contest so I am doing one for this month.(Hey, that's the price of winning). I hope you will look our motley crew up. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread