What's new

River Find - Update New Photo

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
1,396
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_scratch:

Hey folks, took my new AT Pro out in the river recently and found this CW bullet (along with some 3 ringers - video and more pics coming soon). Wasn't sure about the ID on this one though - it reads a bit more that 52 caliber and is a little more than 1 1/16 inch long with a hollow base. I found this one by just eyeballing the shallow river bottom. It was in about 8" of water - didn't even have my detector on! Both Confederate and Union troops were in the area. Any ideas on this bullet?

*Update - added new photo of the base to help ID. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3460.webp
    IMG_3460.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 798
  • IMG_3462.webp
    IMG_3462.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 794
  • .52base.webp
    .52base.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0
Re: River Find

I'm not the 'bullet person,' but it looks like a .52 Sharps. Nice find, Breezie
 
Re: River Find

Breezie said:
I'm not the 'bullet person,' but it looks like a .52 Sharps. Nice find, Breezie

Thanks Breezie, that's my guess also. Just not sure.
 
Re: River Find

I'll take this one.... I do believe it is a Gardner bullet that has been smoothed down by rolling around in a pocket on a rocky river bottom. Here is a picture of some I found earlier this summer with a normal one in the middle. A picture of the bottom of the bullet will allow positive identification. Cool find!
 

Attachments

  • P7230006.webp
    P7230006.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 533
  • P7230006.webp
    P7230006.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 525
Re: River Find

aquachigger said:
I'll take this one.... I do believe it is a Gardner bullet that has been smoothed down by rolling around in a pocket on a rocky river bottom. Here is a picture of some I found earlier this summer with a normal one in the middle. A picture of the bottom of the bullet will allow positive identification. Cool find!

Hey Beau - thanks. I'll get a photo of the bottom up some time later today.
 
Re: River Find

Old Stonewall said:
aquachigger said:
I'll take this one.... I do believe it is a Gardner bullet that has been smoothed down by rolling around in a pocket on a rocky river bottom. Here is a picture of some I found earlier this summer with a normal one in the middle. A picture of the bottom of the bullet will allow positive identification. Cool find!

Hey Beau - thanks. I'll get a photo of the bottom up some time later today.

Looks like a Gardner to me. Notice the line for the insert in the bottom. I've found quite a few bullets that have been worn down by tumbling in the currents. Pretty neat!
 
Re: River Find

aquachigger said:
Old Stonewall said:
aquachigger said:
I'll take this one.... I do believe it is a Gardner bullet that has been smoothed down by rolling around in a pocket on a rocky river bottom. Here is a picture of some I found earlier this summer with a normal one in the middle. A picture of the bottom of the bullet will allow positive identification. Cool find!

Hey Beau - thanks. I'll get a photo of the bottom up some time later today.

Looks like a Gardner to me. Notice the line for the insert in the bottom. I've found quite a few bullets that have been worn down by tumbling in the currents. Pretty neat!

Thanks Beau. I'll be doing a Youtube video some time this week. I'll post here. Found a few other things of interest as well. We hope to return once more before it turns cold.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom