Road trip from NJ to Fl, any recommend areas to check out in between?

Florida Rat

Greenie
Dec 7, 2018
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road trip from NJ to FL, any recommend areas to check out in between?

I'm flying up to the South jersey area next week and will be driving back down to SW Florida. I'm bringing my detector and looking to take the scenic route home and do some hunting throughout the drive. I'll spend some time in NJ first, then...? What states/counties/areas would you stop for the day? Any good ghost towns or abandoned mountain mines to check out?

Just looking for general areas I should research. Prefer "out of the way" type places, have 4WD if needed. Thanks!

Carlitosway2

Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Florida? I have dug Sarasota and have done well with mostly .50 bullets dated 1943 along with some silver.
They used beach for target practice WWII

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Florida Rat

Greenie
Dec 7, 2018
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Port Charlotte, so I probably won't be hitting anywhere that close to home (or beaches) as I have the rest of my life to do that here. But I never knew there was old stuff on the beach there, thanks!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
If taking 95, when you get towards Fredericksbug, VA, you won't be too far from a lot of Civil War history.

"Fredericksburg is a city on the Rappahannock River in Virginia, south of Washington, D.C. Known for its colonial and Civil War history, it’s home to the 4 battlefields of the Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park: Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House. The park’s Fredericksburg National Cemetery is the final resting place of thousands of Union soldiers.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you don't know how to read ocean beaches then learn and hunt in front of the most expensive hotels or condos you can find. Or the most popular ocean beaches. Use google earth to find the most crowded public beaches. hint: the ones with the biggest parking lots. Do this and you increase your odds of finding the expensive stuff by a huge amount. Most visiting detectorists and even locals just hunt the beaches within a few miles of where they are staying. the pro's go to the right beaches. I have seen some videos of guys who hit the same beach in the video, week after week pulling up nothing but junk. In one case the guy is just 2 miles from a string of very expensive condo's and expensive hotels. That is where you get the gold with ice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread