Road Trip to Canada

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I went to Canada today for some CRH. I brought along 3 coin helpers with me (ages 11,9,7) and we hit 5 banks. We have been collecting the Canadian coins we find in US rolls but our collection has lots of holes. We searched:
$10 in 1 cent
$40 in 5 cent
$80 in 10 cent
$50 in 25 cent
$150 in loonies
$100 in toonies
$20 in large Canadian dollar coins

The highlight of our search was a 1949 George VI Dime! (80% Silver)

We took home $90 in Canadian coins to add to our collection and dumped the rest.
Banks in Canada were all very pleasant and easy to work with even though I did not have an account. I even found a bank with a coin counter to use for free. Most of the banks exchange US dollars for Canadian without any fees. God Bless Canada!!

Upvote 0

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad you enjoyed your short trip to my country. Yes most banks here are friendly, which bank did you go to. More importantly where did you go in Canada, not a single bank in my city has a coin counter. Where did you get the large dollar coins from, congratulations on that find, I have found a total of $30 of the large dollar coins, most from a small town bank. If I were you I would have asked for 50 cent pieces, $1 and $2 bills at the same place you got the large dollars. Glad you and your kids had fun.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like I should do a vacation there myself.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you got the kids passport to go across the boarder......Matt

OP
OP
M

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
1) Location was Windsor, Ont across the river from Detroit.
2) TD Canadian Trust has a free coin counter and had large dollar coins
3) I asked for 50 cent coin at all banks, they didnt have any
4) One bank did have US half dollars ;) but no Canadian 50 cents. I didnt take the US Halves (all skunk)
5) You do not need a passport to travel to Canada. If you are under 18 and traveling with a parent. I had passports for my kids but they expired (only last 5 yrs if you are under 18)
6) The other banks were
Scotia Bank x2
National Bank
Bank of Montreal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread