Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weather was gorgeous yesterday, so I stole a couple of hours and detected the verge strip in front of my permission.
(That may be one of the strangest sentences I've ever typed... 🤨)

Anyhow, my question is about sidewalk construction. There's some kind of (extremely LOUD) non-ferrous strip running along the edge of the sidewalk that sets off the D2 when the outside of the coil gets within 4"-6". I'm thinking it may be some kind of concrete form they left in-place when casting the sidewalk, or possibly the electrical line for street lights(?)

Is this common? Has anyone else run into it? Is there anything else it could be that I'm missing?

My suspicion (from the sounds I'm getting) is that whatever it is is blocking/hiding other targets, so now I have to figure out notching on the fly... :metaldetector: Is that right?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Natural gas, LPG, liquid fuels, ... ever hear of gas lights? many things have no regard for the freezing point of water. Besides water in or out, what other 'utilities' do you feel need 'frost depth' burial?
One of my first jobs was inspecting underground construction. Natural gas is definitely below frost here. It's bad enough when the water lines break in the spring; it's worse when it's a gas line.

Most (not all) sewer lines are below frost as well. Mine is. I don't want to think about that 100+ ft. line freezing up and clogging.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be some old sprinkler plumbing before they went to PVC.

OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be some old sprinkler plumbing before they went to PVC.
Good thought, but no sprinklers.

I think I'm going to notch out the signal, and dig anything that comes through... carefully, until I figure it out. No hurries--no worries.

OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the post. Today I learned what a Verge strip was!
I learned it when I posted! 😁 One of those things everybody has seen & knows about, but few know what it's actually called.

Back in the day, I had a penchant for naming RPG characters with obscure/archaic words.

A few others...
philtrum​
glabella​
purlicue​
zarf​
octothorpe & interrobang​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread