What's new

Rock formations and scorpions

redloh

Greenie
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Rock formation's and scorpion's

We visited my family's getaway in North Alabama this weekend and discovered a rock partially in the water, but most of it out. It has some formations that are very strange. I placed a quarter as reference, it is the only rock in the area that has these strange forms. they are about one half inch deep. Does anyone have a guess as to what these are, I haven't a clue.
We also found a scorpion under the burner in the stove, the first I've ever seen east of the Mississippi, I have enclosed a pic, has anyone else seen one? Thanks in advance for you're help.
The first pic is the end of the rock, just under the water.
CabinOct08054.jpg

CabinOct08053.jpg

CabinOct08051.jpg

CabinOct08050.jpg

CabinOct08049.jpg

CabinOct08048.jpg
CabinOct08036.jpg


This is the creek in which the rock is located.
CabinOct08047.jpg
 
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Pics are a bit hard to see 'cause they're so big,
but could they possibly be Native American symbols? :dontknow:

Best,
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Google "turtle back rock" and click Images.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Dialm, great ID :icon_thumright:
Broken knee
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Yes great id. I have always been tought that 90% angles do not form in nature, guess the teachers we're wrong! lol. As for the scorpion, yes I live in North Carolina and in our lower piedmont area (the sandhills) we have them living in our pine forests. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Great I.D.!Thats a new one on me.As for the scorpion,I kill em in my house like that all the time!I really dont like that!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Awesome looking rock.
The scorpion I'm 90% sure is a bark scorpion. They are toxic little things so be careful. You'll find them anywhere warm and dark so check your shoes in the morning. If you're looking to get rid of them I'm looking for a few dozen live ones for my collection.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Dang! I thought it was an aligators back until I scrolled down and saw the whole picture! Very neat find. When I lived outside of town on an acreage as a kid there were scorpions galore. The ones we had were very small and you had to shake out your clothes and shoes every morning to be sure they hadn't taken up residency overnight. I never got stung, but I am told they are really painful although not fatal as the movies sometimes portray. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

trixie charger said:
I have always been tought that 90% angles do not form in nature, guess the teachers we're wrong! lol.

Check it out... :o :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • basalt.webp
    basalt.webp
    183.9 KB · Views: 3,218
  • columnar-basalt-s3.webp
    columnar-basalt-s3.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 515
  • DevilsPostpileTop.webp
    DevilsPostpileTop.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 772
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Yes I think you got it! It says it forms in sandstone. Do you know if that is what you saw it in?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

I don't really know, but it does look exactly like the rock I encountered.
Go down to carpet rocks on this page, they do look like the same rock. They mention sandstone in the river in the area, other sites state that the river carved it's way through sandstone, so I really don't know. I think I will call the state park tomorrow and ask.
http://www.geology.ar.gov/pdf/Geology of Petit Jean State Park.pdf
 
Upvote 0
Re: Rock formation's and scorpion's

Redloh I would post it in the fossil section on here. I found something kinda weird on the N.Ala/Tn line and they gave me an I.D in no time

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,311375.0.html

The little brown scorpions are common in N.Ala and Tn. I got stung by one under my lumber pile. Kinda like a yellow jacket.
Good luck!
TnMtns
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom