What's new

rock wizzards HELP

eldorado

Full Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
143
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
I just bought some rocks from ebay, to polish in my tumbler. they were supose to be agates...... I really dont know my agate from shinnola,, can you guys/gals give me a opinion or edumacate me on this picture,, I think it is quartz and granite?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1544.webp
    IMG_1544.webp
    123.1 KB · Views: 494
hi eldorado, seems to me most of your rocks are some different kinds and colors of quartz family. i am no expert either. the pounds of agate i have look nothing like your rocks.
 
Upvote 0
No agate there. Agate is quartz. A simple scratch test will help. Take your pocketknife and give them a scratch. Consistently soft and white? Then it is probably a pretty batch of Brazilian or Mexican dyed calcite seconds. But that's ebay. I could be wrong though, looks like some is quartzite in non natural colors, too. The scratch test will tell you. Does the clear and the grainy scratch the same? But definately no agate there.
 
Upvote 0
Many members of the quartz family but no agate that I can see..
 
Upvote 0
wow so sorry I have not checked back sooner thank you so very much , the skills and talent of folks amaze, me pass it on to the young
 
Upvote 0
It is nice to have experienced veterans to look to. I am sure lovin treasurenet! :hello2:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom