Rolex oyster 18 K diamonds

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start this out with I hope I did not mess this up. And buy a fake. I didn't have enough time to get to my watch guy because he closes at five so I will have to wait until tomorrow. When I confirm it's real I'll tell you how much I paid for it. But I'm going to add some pictures I'm 99% sure it's real. But sometimes that 1% is more overpowering then I believe! But I'll be quiet and show you some pictures now!

image-440459793.jpg

image-796204139.jpg

image-1863540847.jpg

image-2102172061.jpg

image-2657711853.jpg

image-1711249558.jpg

image-152602129.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavy or light ?
Numbers in the band spring area ?
Plating coming off ?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure it's fake. I called the lady I bought it from and she said bring it back. It looks so good to. I will have a doublecheck tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it's a knock off. Very grateful she said she'll give me my $ back. I don't think the bracelet is supposed to look silver and the gold. Even though it was skuffed.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where the band connects to the watch body...
Look on both side for numbers...
on either side of watch body... inbetween the "arms" ... on the watch body itself.
May have to release band to see.

IF watch is light... fake.
IF you see plating coming off anywhere... fake.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where the band connects to the watch body... Look on both side for numbers... on either side of watch body... inbetween the "arms" ... on the watch body itself. May have to release band to see. IF watch is light... fake. IF you see plating coming off anywhere... fake.

That is kind of what I figured. I will definitely have to lift up the sides to see if there's a number under there. But I didn't realize there was a big scuff mark on the band. But I would think it would be gold underneath the actual gold on the band itself.

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
At least you got one score. The 32d quarter is sure to brighten your day! Assuming you get your $ back for the Rollie

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got my $900 back. I also got a free rolex box. Lesson learned. She also said she's going to have all the tellers at the bank save me any silver they get. She doesn't know it but I'm going to buy them a couple pizza at work tomorrow.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure it's fake. I called the lady I bought it from and she said bring it back. It looks so good to. I will have a doublecheck tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it's a knock off. Very grateful she said she'll give me my $ back. I don't think the bracelet is supposed to look silver and the gold. Even though it was skuffed.

There are more fake ones than real ones... When I was in the Caribbean, you could buy boxed ones for $20.00 US.... Be careful....

buncle

Aug 5, 2011
I believe that all (if not all, most) Rolex's do not have any writing on the back plate. That was a dead giveaway to me that this one is fake.

S

stefen

Additionally, if the second hand movement turns smoothly, and not second by second, then its a fake also.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Additionally, if the second hand movement turns smoothly, and not second by second, then its a fake also.

This is not true. The second hand on a Swiss automatic watch will appear to be moving smoothly. A good way to tell a real or fake Rolex, is by the magnified date bubble (if it has one like a Submariner). On fakes the numbers will be like looking through glass with no magnification at all.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many lower cost Rolex watches do not have any writing on the back. Mine had a label and I bought it new from a reputable dealer. The serial number is only visible when you take the watchband off

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not true. The second hand on a Swiss automatic watch will appear to be moving smoothly. A good way to tell a real or fake Rolex, is by the magnified date bubble (if it has one like a Submariner). On fakes the numbers will be like looking through glass with no magnification at all.

I had a fake with magnification and a ticking hand. Granted that was about 15 years ago that I purchased it. That thing ran for about 4 years on one battery. It outlasted many watches I paid more for.

I think some of these guides are written towards the lowest level of fakes. But in reality they are different levels of quality with the fakes. I think they do it on purpose so they can say look at that one with the ticking hand its fake but this hand moves smooth its real.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was not battery-powered. It was an automatic for sure. And it ran pretty smoothly. However I did the most obvious thing after I paid for it and scratched the part that was supposedly 18 K on the stone and acid tested it and it went away. So that was a better giveaway. I wish I did that first. $900 would've made a really crappy day for me! She was understanding though! Thank goodness. I think if nothing else I need to learn that it is okay to walk away from somethings. And this is a good example of that! Very grateful to get my money back. The box I would say it's probably real and she thinks her husband swapped out the original one with a fake because they recently filed for divorce. Like a month ago they separated. So that's a bummer I really wished for her and my sake that the thing was real but it is what it is. And neither of us are out, we just have less cash. She would've made $900 off of a gift and I would have probably doubled up maybe... Next time!

And also thank you guys very much for your help. I really do appreciate it and I need to also stay away from watches for a while! At least ones that are not marked gold. I also passed on an invecta as well but it was pretty tore up.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a fake with magnification and a ticking hand. Granted that was about 15 years ago that I purchased it. That thing ran for about 4 years on one battery. It outlasted many watches I paid more for.

I think some of these guides are written towards the lowest level of fakes. But in reality they are different levels of quality with the fakes. I think they do it on purpose so they can say look at that one with the ticking hand its fake but this hand moves smooth its real.

If you see no magnifation through bubble, it's a fake. If second hand is ticking like a quartz movement, it's a fake. If you see gold plating, it's a fake. These are just ways to identify bad fakes. There are really good fakes that will beat all of these tips. But if you do see any of these, 99.99% of the time it will be accurate.

If you have any question of the authenticity of a watch, always take it to a authorized dealer before you spend a lot of money and they will be able to tell you if it's authentic. I was in this business 10 years ago and have seen my fair share of both. If you put a Rolex in my hand, I could tell you if it's real or fake in less than a minute.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help me understand this, they get a divorce and SHE gets HIS watch? I smell a revengeful wife or an .... Lawyer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread