What's new

Rolling Surf......

Charl

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,794
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....can sometimes spit out unusual things. Made of antler, and apparently having eroded out of a nearby embankment. On a public beach in southern New England. Seen by an expert who ID'd it as antler, white shade considered appropriate, and likely from the Middle Woodland Jack's Reef Phase.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pretty cool!! Looks like a harpoon tip. Don't see much antler stuff surviving, must have been preserved in optimum conditions!!
 
I think it's a jaw dropping find. I would have keeled over into the waves right then and there. But I would have had a death grip on that harpoon if I did, lol. Find of a lifetime. Here's a smaller bone harpoon tip from the Jack's Reef Site itself in upstate NY....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    78 KB · Views: 102
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    105.9 KB · Views: 113
Pretty darn close to a banner find if you ask me!
 
That is a really cool find!
 
No, not my personal find. Found a couple weeks ago on a public beach on the Atlantic. I heard about it that day. It was found by a collector, and not just a tourist enjoying our beaches.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom