What's new

Roman intaglio

fikys

Full Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
131
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Roman intaglio [confirmed to be real by a museum!]

Few months ago I posted a find my daughter and I spotted at River Thames. As there was some concern that this could be a replica of a Roman intaglio I decided to post again when we find out more...

So we went the the London Museum for them to have a look and ID it. It took them several months but I think it was worth it as it was a great experience for my 10 years old daughter.

Anyway, last week they emailed us saying that we can take the intaglio back. It turned out to be a real cornelian Roman intaglio dating 1-2 century AD. It features Fortuna. The museum even asked us to consider donating them the finding.

Please enjoy the pictures (now when we finally know this is real)!

More intersting information (and pictures) could now be found at the Portable Antique Scheme site page: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/798864

I am really grateful that they put more information on the page than normally for my daughter to learn what exactly she has found!
 

Attachments

  • image1.webp
    image1.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image2.webp
    image2.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 34
Good for you and your Daughter I have two they like to take my jewelery and the wife also!! That's a great experience to share I love to hear stories like this I think you should keep it for your Daughter a nice investment for her future Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I vote banner
 
Thank you, A2coins! I totally agree. I think I will order a custom ring for her and put the intaglio in and give it to my daughter when she is 18.
 
Very nice find congrats to you both
 
That is a really nice piece of ancient history. Congrats.
 
Very beautiful- Congrats
 
My banner vote is in!!
 
Amazing. Just amazing! So glad you got it authenticated. Enjoy that precious piece. -Lisa & John
 
Thank you, A2coins! I totally agree. I think I will order a custom ring for her and put the intaglio in and give it to my daughter when she is 18.

Fikys, FYI, you would be able to protect this rare, museum piece much better if you put it in a pendant rather than a ring. Rings get knocked SO much, and cameos are pretty fragile on the Mohrs scale. Just letting you know from my own experience with cameos. -Lisa
 
What a beautiful ancient Gem..I hear the words find of a life time allot of times. But I think that might really be one. Congratulations to you both.
 
Excellent news I could tell it was carnelian back then, in fact Cru'Dad had found a complete one in a Roman Bronze Ring. I think it was me that said you need to discount the 19th C copies, of which there were many in the same material. Nice job & congrats on a great eyes only find. Beats any of my Thames finds.:hello2:

Thanks for the update, you were lucky it only took a few months.:thumbsup:
 
Not great photo's, but I can't take a better ones as we have given it to the land-owner.

But you can show your daughter what it looked like in a Bronze Bexel.

Another interesting fact is they were not worn like we wear them. They never went over the knuckle, they sat just before the knuckle. (Fashion at the time) No wonder they lost them!
 

Attachments

  • 1st C ring.webp
    1st C ring.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 1st C ring1.webp
    1st C ring1.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Side view of 1st C ring.webp
    Side view of 1st C ring.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Fikys, FYI, you would be able to protect this rare, museum piece much better if you put it in a pendant rather than a ring. Rings get knocked SO much, and cameos are pretty fragile on the Mohrs scale. Just letting you know from my own experience with cameos. -Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. This might be a very good idea. I still have a few years to think what exactly to do :)
 
I think it was me that said you need to discount the 19th C copies, of which there were many in the same material. Nice job & congrats on a great eyes only find. Thanks for the update, you were lucky it only took a few months.:thumbsup:

Yes, it was you who suggested to exclude the 19th C copies. Thanks! As this is not a 'treasure' they were relatively fast to ID it and there was also a child involved which helped :).

Thank you for sharing images of your dad's ring. I will show to my daughter tomorrow. Yes, it is not surprising these rings were lost so easily. But our intaglio could have dropped off a ring long time ago, unless it was a bronze ring.
 
Yes, it was you who suggested to exclude the 19th C copies. Thanks! As this is not a 'treasure' they were relatively fast to ID it and there was also a child involved which helped :).

Thank you for sharing images of your dad's ring. I will show to my daughter tomorrow. Yes, it is not surprising these rings were lost so easily. But our intaglio could have dropped off a ring long time ago, unless it was a bronze ring.

No suggestion on how yours got there, just a general one, based on the fact that the knuckle wasn't holding it on. Lots of ways it could have got there. Yes, kids help, & she should be hooked for life by now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom