Roofing axe or a carpenter’s axe, age, hand forged?

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Is the one on the left a roofing axe head or a carpenter’s axe head? Can you give me your assessment as to its age?

The older one was rusty when I found it back in 1980 and has seined been cleaned with a die grinder. It looks hand forged and all, so it might be old. I think someone left it after a prospecting venture. It was an eyeballed find during a deer hunt and was found not far from the place that the Zodiac killer took his first victim and left a survivor (Lake Berryessia). I found a few arrow heads in this area too. I put a modified hickory sledge hammer handle on it. It was originally wedged with hickory wedges. But the head got loose after a few uses. Then I pound a few nails in to tighten it up and that cracked the head.

The other one was found in a relative’s shad. I know it looks modern. Both of them had been uesable until the old one cracked.

Attachments

• Axe 1.JPG
    Axe 1.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 854
  • Axe 2.JPG
    Axe 2.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 612
  • Axe 3.JPG
    Axe 3.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 620
  • Axe 4.JPG
    Axe 4.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Axe 5.JPG
    Axe 5.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 581

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
The one on the left is a shingle axe. It's really hard to determine the age on those things. Good old steel. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Lafitte said:
The one on the left is a shingle axe. It's really hard to determine the age on those things. Good old steel. :)

Hey thanks lafitte, I.m satisfied with that. Thanks again and HH.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a name stamped on the side of the polled hatchet. Can you hake it out? Maybe take a pencil rubbing?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Looks like a name stamped on the side of the polled hatchet. Can you hake it out? Maybe take a pencil rubbing?

Thanks for pointing that out Charlie P. (NY), I'll check it out when I get home. I think that might be vice marks but I still check it out and post what I find. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
The REALLY old axes were forged from a single sheet of iron and folded over. You can see the seam on these type of old axe heads. I have one, but it needs an electolysis bath and I am too lazy to put one together :P

Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
The one on the left, top pic looks like a roofers hammer, one on the right looks like an old drywall hammer.IMO HB

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I think the marks are from vice jaws. Yeap those axes look just like mine.

Attachments

• Hachet Marks.JPG
    Hachet Marks.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 692
Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
As roofing hatchets they probably pre-date composition shingles as they have a set of 2 or 3 holes in the blade that has a "pin" for gauging the coverage area on composition shingles. These would probably been used for shake or shingle roofs. Age...old.

Upvote 0

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Cool old tools, Ant.

I have one just like the one on the left. I don't think it's too old, certainly less than 100 years. I still use it several times a year.

I'm sure a welder could stitch that crack and it would be good as new.

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture from an Eric Sloane book on tools .

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,444
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread