Rumored silver telegraph and electrical lines during WW2.

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't speak for WWII but I have seen silver (without insulation) electric wire that was used in a turn-of-the-20th C cabin in southern Virginia. The cabin, in Surry County, was dismantled in the late 20th C by the owner who hoped to move it to a new location.

Addendum: After doing (very little) research, it seems that "German silver" electrical wire was available in the late 19th C. It apparently does not contain silver. German Silver is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel, sometimes also containing lead and tin. Also I saw references to copper wire coated with silver...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that Silver wire would be too soft to stand much strain.There are some silver plated copper wires in very high end electronics but the amount is miniscule in terms of recovery.

OP
OP
gillious

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that Silver wire would be too soft to stand much strain.There are some silver plated copper wires in very high end electronics but the amount is miniscule in terms of recovery.
I was thinking that also but also was thinking it could be possible with a silver alloy similar to coin silver or a little hatder..

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
If there was, you can bet your bottom dollar that every inch of it was remembered by the guys installing it and when it was taken out of service, it was all collected back. OR the local rednecks would have cut down every old pole to get it.

OP
OP
gillious

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was, you can bet your bottom dollar that every inch of it was remembered by the guys installing it and when it was taken out of service, it was all collected back. OR the local rednecks would have cut down every old pole to get it.
Well that's who I heard the rumor from. He was an old redneck that I know. He said he pulled a section off the abandoned tracks out back of his place.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tinned wire:
"Tin-Coated Multipurpose 110 Copper Wire. The tin coating provides a higher level of corrosion resistance and makes it easier to solder than Mirror-Like Multipurpose 110 CopperWire. Grounding Wire, Braid, and Ribbon. Grounding Ribbon. The smooth, flat design provides more surface area contact than wire or braid."

How many "Aluminum sheds" are there in backyards? Made out of sheet metal
German Silver -another alloy as stated by DCMatt
Tin roof-zinc coated steel

Ran into a few Red Necks operating the scrap business-their beliefs weren't always the industry standard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread