Rust Removal

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try Evaporust or anything with phosphoric acid in it. The level of phosphoric acid can be found on the Safety Data Sheet for that product. Although some old things look better with that rust patina on them.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apple cider vinegar is cheap and easy to use, for smaller items cover in A.C.V. in a plastic bowl let soak as long as needed and brush every now and then------electrolysis is another way, you can find helpful videos on you tube :icon_thumleft:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer electrolysis as well. ACV is pretty stinky and messy if you ask me, but it does work to some degree.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A solution of apple cider vinegar, water and a small bit of lemon juice. Use a soft bristle tooth brush o it. You can put it in the sun to dry then schelack it with a thin coat for really great fids like musket parts and shot

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don’t go crazy on my iron finds, this is my process: First, I use a mini hatchet I have- you can use mini hammer instead, and I bang off what rust buildup I can. Pliers can crunch off the buildup from iron rings and square nails/spikes. Second, I use either wire wheel on bench grinder or coarse wire brush.
Two ways to finish: 1, boil paraffin a wok and throw parts in for few minutes or 2, brush on matte modge podge and let dry - both work well to preserve the iron items but the modge podge is faster and easier.

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve used lemon juice an a tooth brush... but I’m no expert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread