Rusty history

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Worked hard this afternoon for this stuff. Top row: hinge that still moves freely and overhead sliding door trolley/festoon trolley. Bottom row: rusty tin pieces, ink pen cap, slag, misc nails and wire. The slag has me baffled. Strong signal, non-magnetic. Maybe melted aluminum.? I had several strong IDs throughout the day and found nothing. These were under what appears to have been an old rocked driveway. I’ll investigate more some other time.

Attachments

• E58CBBE7-2DA4-4843-A110-4E3E30B223D5.jpeg
    E58CBBE7-2DA4-4843-A110-4E3E30B223D5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
Upvote 12

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worked hard this afternoon for this stuff. Top row: hinge that still moves freely and overhead sliding door trolley/festoon trolley. Bottom row: rusty tin pieces, ink pen cap, slag, misc nails and wire. The slag has me baffled. Strong signal, non-magnetic. Maybe melted aluminum.? I had several strong IDs throughout the day and found nothing. These were under what appears to have been an old rocked driveway. I’ll investigate more some other time.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to share this inspirational thread with you 🤘

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Slag is funny stuff.
Impurities /dross off melted metal can ring up as something else.
Maybe even coal clinkers can. Ans who knows what coal stoves got fed sometimes...

I detected a former blacksmith homestead. Almost constant signals. Some better than iron. Just crud though.
Used to repair/rebuild slaggers for skimming off ladles of molten iron. They degrade and even melt. Leaving metal in the slag.
Watched pours where dampened burlap had been wrapped over a wire and used on the gate area. Didn't understand why moisture would be allowed near molten metal as that's a big no no for me. But traces of that wire ended up with the dross and discarded.

Forges on homesteads were not too uncommon.
Having to melt stuff though vs just heating it might have been less a concern.
Lead of course had lots of uses , and a low melt temp. Pewter too perhaps.
A little borax for flux , and skim the melted lead. Takesa lot of heat to melt borax just right though and get a glassy result on top of the melted lead. And what does what was skimmed off look like after?

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Slag is funny stuff.
Impurities /dross off melted metal can ring up as something else.
Maybe even coal clinkers can. Ans who knows what coal stoves got fed sometimes...

I detected a former blacksmith homestead. Almost constant signals. Some better than iron. Just crud though.
Used to repair/rebuild slaggers for skimming off ladles of molten iron. They degrade and even melt. Leaving metal in the slag.
Watched pours where dampened burlap had been wrapped over a wire and used on the gate area. Didn't understand why moisture would be allowed near molten metal as that's a big no no for me. But traces of that wire ended up with the dross and discarded.

Forges on homesteads were not too uncommon.
Having to melt stuff though vs just heating it might have been less a concern.
Lead of course had lots of uses , and a low melt temp. Pewter too perhaps.
A little borax for flux , and skim the melted lead. Takesa lot of heat to melt borax just right though and get a glassy result on top of the melted lead. And what does what was skimmed off look like after?

I hadn’t considered an old farm forge. That could very well be. This is some hard stuff. I put a torch flame to it. I didn’t observe any color change or melting. Also no color change to the flame tip. I’m not sure the temp of the torch. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread