What's new

Ryedale Questions

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
4,291
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
I've been reading some interesting posts lately from you penny collectors with your Ryedale machines, and have a bunch of questions.

1. Are you guys actually making money selling pennies on ebay, enough to justify the expense of the machine?
2. Which model is better the one in the $400.00 range or the one in the $700.00 dollar range?
:tongue3: :dontknow: :help: I am mechanically retarded.
3. What type of maintenance is required?
4. Any assembly required.
5. How do they hold up? Any problems besides the jams.
I'm not interested in numismatics just looking for a way to convert copper into PM's.
6. With this in mind is it worth it?

Rich
 
Upvote 0
i love my ryedale. i have the coin artist model. the only problem i have had so far is with jams. i have to clean it every now and then but it ain't too hard once you have done it the first time. if you purchase one andy sends you a owner's manuel by email that explains everything. so far i have not sold any copper. i am going to stockpile and wait for the prices to go back up. so far i have 1200.00 face. there is a place that says they will buy them. www.webuypennies.com it is a neat little machine. i wish someone made one that would sort silver dimes from clad.
 
Hi Rich,
OK I am going to start from the beginning of my CRH days to explain how and why I worked up to my Ryedale to see if the situation is right for you.
First of I started CRH as a hobby to fullfill my time. I was hurt on the job(thus my recurring back injury) and took early retirement at age 35. I started out just going to a bunch of banks in the area asking for halves. After about two weeks I bought all the halves that were sitting around and started ordering boxes. The halves boxes dont produce so I switched to nickels and pennies. I love wheats so when I started finding them cosistantly I was thrilled and then the greedyness that most of us CRHers have kicked in and I wanted more... So I started ordering $200 a week worth of pennies(8 boxes). I then read something about the copper selling for more than a penny. I did some research and found a few outlets to sell it, really not much of a profit but at the time I was hand sorting so it was just a little extra time involved to make a few bucks. I did that for about a month and kept the money aside that I sold the copper for. Then I got hooed up with someone on this forum and bought there used Ryedale(and I cant thank him enough for the great machine). When I got the machine I upped my boxes to $300 twice a week(24 boxes a week). Again the main reason was for the Rydale was this way I only had to hand sort the 30% copper for wheats and not all of the pennies.
To Sum it up... I know it dragged on, I just don't want you to spend a lot of money unless you are going to get the use out of it.
1- If you are doing it JUST for the copper, try to line up buyers now they are not easy to come by.
2- Mantenance is not that bad, but MUST clean machine often, Pennies are DIRTY.
3- I have the $400 model, I got it with 800,000 on the counter it now has 2.5 million and still runs strong.
4- I love my machine
5- You say "not interested in numismatics". Why? that is where you are going to see more profit. If you plan on running a bunch of pennies through it you have a great chance of finding a key date wheat or semi-key date wheat. It is easy to sort the copper after by hand.
Well I hope this helps.

silvercop said:
it is a neat little machine. i wish someone made one that would sort silver dimes from clad.
UMMM it will. you can also get a plate that will seperate nickels. A lot of Canadian users use it up there to seperate "nickel" nickels from "copper-Nickel" nickels.
The thing with using it for dimes it is a lot faster to rim search than feed them into the machine. Silver dimes are not concetrated enough to make it worth wild to use the machine.
I have tried it with "US" nickels and it does seperate war nickels out. But just not time worthy.

Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
Thanks for the reply. I know about key dates and what to look for. I just meant that I'm not a coin collector that puts them in albums or would ever buy them at more than face value. Well with the exception of silver eagles and gold :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom