S.E.F. butterfly search coil question

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my e-trac a couple months ago and have been looking into aftermarket coils for more depth. I have had luck in the past with the S.E.F. butterfly search coils. I bought one for my first detector, the ace 250 and then bought one for my second detector the tesoro Cortes. Well I was looking at the connector and it looks the same on the e-trac as it does on the ace 250 so I was wondering if it can be used for both and work the way it should without messing anything up ? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
You need to look ONLY FBS coils for Etrac, but if you want to kill or experiment with your Etrac connect ACE 250 coil and let us know what happened. All the same size coils the same DEEP, if you have original Pro coil you will not get any deeper with any after market. different coils can be a bit different tuned in factory and behave a bit differently.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will not work and you could risk damaging your detector. Its not the pins of the connector but the wiring behind thats important.

If you want to use a range of coil sizes/types its best to get a detector that has a ground balance control this allows the detector to be optimised to the coil as well as the ground conditions. If no G.B. control then one option is to add an extra trimmer inside wired to an external switch so that you can flick between the adjustments that give the best performance from each coil.

Far easier/ultimately cheaper to never buy a detector that hasn't got a ground balance control.

OP
OP
F

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I took a chance and tried it out (stupid me) lol. It did not work just like you said it wouldn't, however there was no harm done(thankfully). It turned on as normal and after about 5 seconds it made the same sound as when you have the coil really close to a large metal object and the word overload appeared so I turned it off really quick. Just to make sure everything was still ok I put the stock coil back on and went detecting for about 3 hours. Still picking up on really small/tiny objects and everything is still working 100%.
Should have known but curiosity got the best of me.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
fbjr said:
Well I took a chance and tried it out (stupid me) lol. It did not work just like you said it wouldn't, however there was no harm done(thankfully). It turned on as normal and after about 5 seconds it made the same sound as when you have the coil really close to a large metal object and the word overload appeared so I turned it off really quick. Just to make sure everything was still ok I put the stock coil back on and went detecting for about 3 hours. Still picking up on really small/tiny objects and everything is still working 100%.
Should have known but curiosity got the best of me.
Please let us know about your future experiment ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread