What's new

I'm not a neophyte!

k0bgalan

Sr. Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2026
Messages
282
Reaction score
851
Golden Thread
0
Location
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
All Garrett: Ace 250 (two), AceApex, VX-9. Have owned just about every Garrett ever made. First three detecter I made myself, with the first one in 1962.
I’m not new to metal detecting as I started way back in 1962! I’m now 66 years old, so you do the math! The first three detectors I owned were home brewed BFO types. The last one was operated at 15 kHz (cycles per second back then!) which was an uncommon attribute. After moving from the Kansas City, area, to Denver, in 1973, the BFO detectors became almost worthless due to the mineralized soils. I remember ordering a Garrett Hunter (it may have been a Master Hunter) which worked better than the ones I built.

Since that time, my love for detecting ebbed and flowed, until I retired and moved to Roswell, NM in 2001. With renewed interest (more on that in a moment) I ended up a GTX 1000 Garrett, and then a GTI-2500. The latter was as good as any detector I’ve ever owned. In fact, the 2500 helped me find the most valuable coin I’ve ever found. I’ll share that one day, but not now.

Fast forward to 2015 ish, and I bought a few Garrett Ace 250s as gifts with hopes of bringing more folk into the fold! One of those returned to me when the owner died. At my age, those kind of things just happen! The Ace 250 is a great beginner detector, but not for me. I did purchased an Ace Apex which proved to me that Mr. Garrett’s company still makes great detectors! In fact, my new Garrett VX-9 will arrive this coming Wednesday!

I want to talk about the detecting situation here in Roswell, NM. Unlike most of the locations within 200 miles of the Denver, area, detecting within the parks and city property is allowed! This includes the courthouse, on weekends. Being a small town (≈65,000 albeit the census says just under 50,000) there are lots of festivals in various city-owned property. It is not uncommon to find several dollars in areas which were allocated to vendors. Oddly enough, the most detectorists I’ve ever seen in Roswell, at one time, totaled merely three! I’m in rare company!

As I alluded to, I’ll share my greatest find in a future post. As a teaser… If I sold that find, I could retire all over again!
 
Believe it was 4 years.

You may not want me doing your taxes.
The IRS sent a letter to someone (a ladyfriend I should have not married probably) who's taxes I did stating there was an error in her favor with a check included for one dollar.
I figured enough is enough and next time it could be an error in the other direction and I wouldn't be doing her taxes anymore!

Born in this month (6) of 1961 is 65 years of age. In June of 62 it would be 64 years of age.

IF I'm 66 years old when was I born? Maybe 1960 if in June. Plus or minus what?
A 66 year old born in1960 swinging a detector in 62 would be a two year old. Building some stamina in the flippers/arms if swinging much.
But that's my math. L.o.l..
 
I’m not new to metal detecting...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: NEW MEXICO for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
 
Welcome!
 
Welcome aboard from Denver and a big fan of Garrett. I started with a Master Hunter 7 in 1984. Still works but that thing is heavy with six 9 volt batteries installed.
Looking forward to the story on the could retire again coin.
 
I’m not new to metal detecting as I started way back in 1962! I’m now 66 years old, so you do the math! The first three detectors I owned were home brewed BFO types. The last one was operated at 15 kHz (cycles per second back then!) which was an uncommon attribute. After moving from the Kansas City, area, to Denver, in 1973, the BFO detectors became almost worthless due to the mineralized soils. I remember ordering a Garrett Hunter (it may have been a Master Hunter) which worked better than the ones I built.

Since that time, my love for detecting ebbed and flowed, until I retired and moved to Roswell, NM in 2001. With renewed interest (more on that in a moment) I ended up a GTX 1000 Garrett, and then a GTI-2500. The latter was as good as any detector I’ve ever owned. In fact, the 2500 helped me find the most valuable coin I’ve ever found. I’ll share that one day, but not now.

Fast forward to 2015 ish, and I bought a few Garrett Ace 250s as gifts with hopes of bringing more folk into the fold! One of those returned to me when the owner died. At my age, those kind of things just happen! The Ace 250 is a great beginner detector, but not for me. I did purchased an Ace Apex which proved to me that Mr. Garrett’s company still makes great detectors! In fact, my new Garrett VX-9 will arrive this coming Wednesday!

I want to talk about the detecting situation here in Roswell, NM. Unlike most of the locations within 200 miles of the Denver, area, detecting within the parks and city property is allowed! This includes the courthouse, on weekends. Being a small town (≈65,000 albeit the census says just under 50,000) there are lots of festivals in various city-owned property. It is not uncommon to find several dollars in areas which were allocated to vendors. Oddly enough, the most detectorists I’ve ever seen in Roswell, at one time, totaled merely three! I’m in rare company!

As I alluded to, I’ll share my greatest find in a future post. As a teaser… If I sold that find, I could retire all over again!
Welcome! looking forward to your experiences! So I did the math as you instructed and it puts you at 2 years old back when you started metal detecting after making your first detector. I suspect that you accomplished this because you, like myself, was born at a very young age.:laughing7:
 
must have carried your finds in your diaper. LOL
Can I see what you found today?
Oh I see you had another crappy day out hunting again. 🤣
 
I’m not new to metal detecting as I started way back in 1962! I’m now 66 years old, so you do the math! The first three detectors I owned were home brewed BFO types. The last one was operated at 15 kHz (cycles per second back then!) which was an uncommon attribute. After moving from the Kansas City, area, to Denver, in 1973, the BFO detectors became almost worthless due to the mineralized soils. I remember ordering a Garrett Hunter (it may have been a Master Hunter) which worked better than the ones I built.

Since that time, my love for detecting ebbed and flowed, until I retired and moved to Roswell, NM in 2001. With renewed interest (more on that in a moment) I ended up a GTX 1000 Garrett, and then a GTI-2500. The latter was as good as any detector I’ve ever owned. In fact, the 2500 helped me find the most valuable coin I’ve ever found. I’ll share that one day, but not now.

Fast forward to 2015 ish, and I bought a few Garrett Ace 250s as gifts with hopes of bringing more folk into the fold! One of those returned to me when the owner died. At my age, those kind of things just happen! The Ace 250 is a great beginner detector, but not for me. I did purchased an Ace Apex which proved to me that Mr. Garrett’s company still makes great detectors! In fact, my new Garrett VX-9 will arrive this coming Wednesday!

I want to talk about the detecting situation here in Roswell, NM. Unlike most of the locations within 200 miles of the Denver, area, detecting within the parks and city property is allowed! This includes the courthouse, on weekends. Being a small town (≈65,000 albeit the census says just under 50,000) there are lots of festivals in various city-owned property. It is not uncommon to find several dollars in areas which were allocated to vendors. Oddly enough, the most detectorists I’ve ever seen in Roswell, at one time, totaled merely three! I’m in rare company!

As I alluded to, I’ll share my greatest find in a future post. As a teaser… If I sold that find, I could retire all over again!
Welcome to the forum.
 
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:
 
Welcome from North Carolina!

If you started detecting at 2, I can't wait to hear the rest of your stories. :tongue3:
 
Welcome to the Forum & Good Hunting !
 
Just to reiterate this.... I was born in 1940. I'm closer to my 87th b-day, than I am to the last one. I built my first detector, a beat frequency unit based on a Bernstein-Applebee kit. It used 455 kHz IF components, but it did work fairly well. The second one I designed and operated at approximately 30 kHs (I didn't have a freq. counter or o-scope at the time). The third one was a TR based on an article in Popular Science. It worked so-so. The first commercial one, as I recall, was a Garrett Hunter. I did own a 300, but I don't remember what it was called. I may have gotten it mixed up with a Master Hunter, or Pro something, but after 60 years or so, things have gotten fuzzy.

Does this straighten out the issue with some of you naysayers?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom