Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"S" Mint Mark on State Quarter?

I realize they aren't worth much but I have been collecting state quarters just for fun. My collector's album has places for the Denver and Philadelphia mints. Today I was going through some quarters I found in change and came across a Tennessee quarter with an "S" mint mark. Does anyone know is this is an error, or is there an "S" mint that made some quarters? Monty

Re: "S" Mint Mark on State Quarter?

The San Francisco mint makes quarters, I believe, but I think they make strictly proofs, and maybe silver?

For each year, five new designs are issued — five with a "D" mint mark (from the Denver mint) and the same five designs with a "P" mint mark (from the Philadelphia mint). In addition, two matching designs are issued each year from the San Francisco mint with an "S" mint mark. One of these is a "proof" issue in the regular, copper-nickel clad composition; and a special proof issue in silver.
These "S" mint coins are available only by subscription from the U.S. Mint,

http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signal/coins/sg043005-coins.htm

Thanks, looks like someone broke up Daddy's proof set for a treat from the convenience store! M :wink: nty

Monty said:
Thanks, looks like someone broke up Daddy's proof set for a treat from the convenience store! M :wink: nty

Yep

Would be My Guess :D

Too Bad it wasn't the Silver Proof.

But still a Bonus Find.

I happens occasionally. about a month ago I pulled a 1999S Delaware quarter from a bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back