Saddle Bags?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Depends a lot on what they have been exposed to;i.e.,moister in the ground minerals,etc.,or any type of critters that would feed on it.I would say yes they would still be around the items but would probably be very brittle.I have a handmade magnafying glass in a hide(deer?)case that one of my ancesters used in 1790 when he rode the hills in VA as a tax writer,and that case is still very good,even the 'gut' it's laced with is still intact, but of course it hasn't been buried or in the elements.I would definetly slip something under it and lift that rather than trying to lift the saddlebag.

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Warsawdaddy! If I do find what I am hopeing to I will want to keep it intact as much as possible. I will make sure I have something to slide underneath it before I try to remove it.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I agree with warsawdaddy - I've dug leather bits that I KNOW are between 100 - 130 years old (Horse Tack & Leather boot soles).

And depending on the climate/exposure - the leather is still intact and solid (not worth a damn - but intact). I could see leather saddle bags lasting 100 years(ish) easily.

The bag would be around the coins, but prolly EXTREAMLY deteriorated.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
I dug a small leather pouch that had been in the ground for over 600 years. It came apart when remover from the hole but was pretty much intact. The coins were dated in the 1300,s. This area was semi-arid and alot of the artifacts were in very good condition. I guess my answer would be it all depends on the climate in your area.

Les

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread