What's new

Saddle Rings?

Swartzie

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
791
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I assume these are saddle rings, but I'd like a confirmation or any other possibilities. The one has been cleaned via electrolysis. The other two are in their original state. Any guesses as to how old they are? They were dug on a mixed site containing a range of finds from a utilized flint flake and pewter spoon handle to early 1900's stuff.

Thanks for looking.
-Swartzie
 

Attachments

  • saddle rings.webp
    saddle rings.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 287
I would think a hand forged ring like that would be impossible to date...but rings like that had many uses. Have seen them on everything from saddles to hitching posts to yokes. I don't mind digging them because typically it lets you know your in an old area that hasn't been hit hard.
 
Upvote 0
Kieth-Tx said:
I would think a hand forged ring like that would be impossible to date...but rings like that had many uses. Have seen them on everything from saddles to hitching posts to yokes. I don't mind digging them because typically it lets you know your in an old area that hasn't been hit hard.
Agree.
We've always just called them harness rings.
 
Upvote 0
Kieth-Tx said:
I would think a hand forged ring like that would be impossible to date...but rings like that had many uses. Have seen them on everything from saddles to hitching posts to yokes. I don't mind digging them because typically it lets you know your in an old area that hasn't been hit hard.

Just curious. How can you tell if something is hand forged or not?
-Swartzie
 
Upvote 0
Swartzie said:
Kieth-Tx said:
I would think a hand forged ring like that would be impossible to date...but rings like that had many uses. Have seen them on everything from saddles to hitching posts to yokes. I don't mind digging them because typically it lets you know your in an old area that hasn't been hit hard.

Just curious. How can you tell if something is hand forged or not?
-Swartzie

Swatzie, I think this is an excellent question. Here's a pic of one of my rings; is this one hand forged? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronRing.webp
    IronRing.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0
Take off the rust to see if there are small flat places where the blacksmith's
hammer struck the metal. Use a dremel sander.
 
Upvote 0
At 7 oclock left and 5 oclock right lower rings you can see more oxidation buildup where the
rings were forge welded together . This is typical in old handforged artifacts .
 
Upvote 0
truckinbutch said:
Breezie ,
1 3/4 " mark is where your ring was forge welded .
Jim

Thanks TButch! :thumbsup: Do you think this is horse tack, wagon related, or what? Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom