What's new

Saddle shield or car ornament

McCDig

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2015
Messages
3,753
Reaction score
9,039
Golden Thread
1
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are my two guesses on this one.

Sunday afternoon I went back to the same spot where three days earlier I dug two buttons, one of which is a larger tombac, the 1766 Hibernia halfpenny, and the 18th century saddle reins guide piece. At about 8 inches depth and below a large root I recovered this shield-shaped piece that is silvered on one side; the reverse looks to have had another material on it and shows evidence of a central mount. Any ideas?

IMG_7891.webpIMG_7893.webp
 
I have seen bolo slides shaped like that. Not sure that's what yours is, but may be a starting point.
 
Upvote 0
Yep, I think it came off a car.
 
Upvote 0
I'm with you, I think a car also. That plating looks like chromium not silver. Silver would have tarnished black.
 
Upvote 0
Not a bolo slide the attachment is wrong it would have been sideways instead of up and down.I think some type of car badge.
 
Upvote 0
Pontiac ornament ?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom