Safe in a Creek.

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
I have a great lead on a safe, that's in a creek, in NW Alabama. Anyone dive? The known area is very small. Matter of detection, then the work. Removal. Don't know the size of the safe, but gold or silver coins don't take up a lot of space. Small or large, the lead is a direct viewing of it, long ago, from the guy. He was fishing and saw it. He took no action, on it. Isolated area.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody knows what is in it far as I read. But why? Why is it there? Perhaps it floated for a while in raging waters.

What are the laws about recovery of discarded materials in a water way in that state? Might require notification of local LE. And access ...federal water way so you can float in no matter what?

Getting it up on the bank is pretty simple matter of leverage via cables and what not. Is the land tress-passable? But I'd not haul it out, just torch it open on site.

And then are you littering to leave it or toss it back?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello.... I live in Middle TN. and very close to you. There's really no reason to dive to see if it's down there at all. I have a 500 lb rated magnet that would find something like that easily if it's there. Now on the flip side of that previous comment the drawback is if it attaches 100% to a piece of metal it is a hell of a task getting it back off. But you'd know quickly if it was down there. And pulling it (magnet) off or raising something that heavy from a small boat would be difficult. But I promise dragging this small but powerful magnet around the bottom with a strong nylon cord attached is easy. Something to think about......????? Brad

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I have a great lead on a safe, that's in a creek, in NW Alabama. Anyone dive? The known area is very small. Matter of detection, then the work. Removal. Don't know the size of the safe, but gold or silver coins don't take up a lot of space. Small or large, the lead is a direct viewing of it, long ago, from the guy. He was fishing and saw it. He took no action, on it. Isolated area.
I’m in NW Alabama.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never seen or heard anything from the poster since he posted...???? And a safe in a creek wouldn't be hard to fine at all using a magnet if you know the approximate location.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Why would a safe full of coins end up in a creek?🤔
Who knows how anything gets lost? No one can ever answer that question. No one ever can. If it were being ditched, it could definitely have items of value. It's down in gravel. It could be pulled out. The man fishing there, told my friend, "People think it's a flat rock. But it isn't a rock. It's a safe." My 500lb magnet should find it.

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
I've never seen or heard anything from the poster since he posted...???? And a safe in a creek wouldn't be hard to fine at all using a magnet if you know the approximate location.
My 500lb magnet. Or, my Manticore. Not too deep there. See previous, above.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who knows how anything gets lost? No one can ever answer that question. No one ever can. If it were being ditched, it could definitely have items of value. It's down in gravel. It could be pulled out. The man fishing there, told my friend, "People think it's a flat rock. But it isn't a rock. It's a safe." My 500lb magnet should find it.
If you had a 500lb. rated magnet like mine why didn't you use it before posting original post? Or did you buy it after I suggested it? There cheap, small (about 4-5" across) and mine came with a stainless eye bolt and encasement. GOOD NEWS: If it's a safe it WILL find it...! BAD NEWS: If/when it does you will NOT get it back off from a boat. It would make a great video watching someone try.

QUESTION: Why would anyone ditch a stolen safe in a creek in a "isolated" area and leave its content intact?

Let's say the magnet latches on. As I said your NOT getting it back off from a boat if it's like mine... so now what are you going to do...?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread