George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: San Antonio?'s

I haven't heard about permits in the state of Texas but the rest is simple

City parks-----get with the city park dept and get permission
vacant lots----get with the property tax office find the owner and ask permission
public sidewalks and demos get with the site manager and get permission

Most importantly get permission I know it may be tempting to just pick a vaccant lot and go, but its still trespassing...someone is paying taxes on it or the county owns it. Parks vary from every city. Some even allow metal detecting but no digging. (yes it is possible to detect with out digging thats where a pin pointer works well)

I would also get with one of the MD Clubs in the SA area and ask them, perhaps they may have a group hunt going, or you can meet up with someone to hunt. Good Luck

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

txkickergirl said:
I haven't heard about permits in the state of Texas but the rest is simple

City parks-----get with the city park dept and get permission
vacant lots----get with the property tax office find the owner and ask permission
public sidewalks and demos get with the site manager and get permission

Most importantly get permission I know it may be tempting to just pick a vaccant lot and go, but its still trespassing...someone is paying taxes on it or the county owns it. Parks vary from every city. Some even allow metal detecting but no digging. (yes it is possible to detect with out digging thats where a pin pointer works well)

I would also get with one of the MD Clubs in the SA area and ask them, perhaps they may have a group hunt going, or you can meet up with someone to hunt. Good Luck

Okay, thanks for that information, it's very helpful.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon

I live in San Antonio and I can answer your question because I had to go through this last week. You need to contact the San Antonio Parks Deparment to get the permission form. The permission form lists 29 parks/areas that you cannot metal detect in. On the permission form you can list up to seven parks that you'd like to hunt, submit the form, and then wait for permission. I can't tell you how long it takes to obtain permission because each request has to be approved by the person in charge of the SA Parks Department. My friend found a really sweet spot in town that is owned by the Parks Department, but there isn't a park on it. Of the 29 forbidden places listed is property, to include vacant sites, owned by the Parks Deparment. I was frustrated after reading the permit and threw it away. To me it isn't worth the trouble.

Another thing you can do to search for places from you location is realtor sites. You might find some houses that were built long ago that are for sale. Contact the realtor via email and explain that you'd like to get permission to hunt. If you get permission then you've got somewhere to go when you get there.

I live here and it is tough to find places to hunt. Although there is a vast amount of history here due to the Mexicans and the Alamo, all of that area is downtown and covered by hotels and city streets. What a shame. HH

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

How about the playground at the parks? And what about playground at schools? Do I need permission to hunt playgrounds a public elementary school, on weekends? I don't have time to hunt in the turf. Thanks for everything you guys.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon

Ant....here are the parks in San Antonio that you cannot bring a metal detector into:

Acequla park
Bamberger Nature Area
Brackenridge Park to include Koehler park, Allison park, Lions Field
Cathedral Rock Nature Park
City Cemetaries
Comanche Lookout Park
Crownridge Canyon Park
ALL DOWNTOWN PARKS
Eisenhower Park
Espada Park
All Golf Courses
Friedrich Wilderness Park
Leon Creek Greenway
Mahncke Park
Medina River Park
All Monuments
Natural Areas (all designated natural areas and parks)
San Antonio Botanical Garden
San Pedro Park
Stone Oak Park
All undeveloped park properties
Walker Ranch Park
Water areas (All - lakes, ponds, rivers, fountains)

Ok there is it. I typed it straight from the SA Parks Dept form sitting on my desk. I think you'll be ok as long as you stay out of the parks listed above. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Hey thanks, I'll copy that and stay away from them. I only want to hunt playgrounds unless I find an old lot/area and get permission from the owner.

Thanks again.

TECOLOTE

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2008
SAN ANTONIO TX.
Detector(s) used
Explore SE

Hello there....Im from San Antonio and I MD school playgrounds around my area especially the rough side of town where some metal detectorist wont go. Believe me Ive tried the parks around San antonio and its not worth the effort the Park Police will run you off with a warnning. As for some of the school areas on the north and northwest they are safe providing the gates are unlocked.

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

TECOLOTE said:
Hello there....Im from San Antonio and I MD school playgrounds around my area especially the rough side of town where some metal detectorist wont go. Believe me Ive tried the parks around San antonio and its not worth the effort the Park Police will run you off with a warnning. As for some of the school areas on the north and northwest they are safe providing the gates are unlocked.

Hey thank you very much TECOLOTE, that’s the part of town that I'm sure I would fell most comfortable in when I'm in Taxes. I'll fit right in. If you see Creole dude with a gray mustache detecting in the Hood using a GB-2 stop and say hi.

Thanks again.

PS
I’ll be staying near the Kalmar Training Center.

hadite81

Feb 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, AT PRO, MineLab Eqinox 600 Tesoro Conquistador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looking for people to hunt with in the SA area, I am a local, been hunting for about 7 years now.
Kevin

marthur

Feb 9, 2008

Hey all you San Antonians
Did you hear about the dam they found last week on the extension of the river walk that is being built.
Said to be circa late 1800's

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

hadite81 said:
Looking for people to hunt with in the SA area, I am a local, been hunting for about 7 years now.
Kevin
I'll be in the SA area from the 2nd of March until the 15th of March; I'll be leaving TX on the 21st of March. I'll be able to hunt on the weekend of the 8th and 9th, or after work hours. Thanks for the offer hadite81. I'll contact you when get there, or a day or two before the weekend. And if you're ever over my way, I'll return the favor.

marthur said:
Hey all you San Antonians
Did you hear about the dam they found last week on the extension of the river walk that is being built.
Said to be circa late 1800's

Thanks marthur, but I’ll wait to see what hadite81 input is on that as far as being okay to hunt and all. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread