San Jose objects to be raised between April and May 2024.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In deep water: Meeting Spain’s sunken treasure hunter:

Marine archaeologist Carlos Leon faces threats from professional scavengers who want to steal his treasure maps. "They have so far logged 702 shipwrecks off Cuba, Panama, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the US Atlantic coast."

Another intersting read: https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2019/12/16/in-deep-water-meeting-spains-sunken-treasure-hunter

Last edited:

Physics guy

Greenie
Mar 31, 2024
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wild stuff.

You’d think all these parties would sit down and hash it all out. Everyone gets XX%. Better than nothing. I’d take a percentage of $10 billion instead of $0, but hey I’m a reasonable guy.
And Maritime Archeology Consultants claimed that they found it and are teamed with Colombia for a split of the treasure, according to the story in Vanity Fair. Bring your popcorn.

Whoops! From Michael-Robert’s post above it looks like MAC’s share of the treasure just went to zero. I think that lawyers are going to get the biggest piece.

Last edited:

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2015, a remotely operated vehicle reached 900 meters (3100ft) below the surface of the ocean, showing new images of the wreckage. THATS VERY DEEP.

I saw two article at 844 meters, and two articles at 900 ft. The Colombian Navy article says 900 meters. A mix up between meters and feet?

Originaly found in 1981 by US comapany....

Last edited:

Physics guy

Greenie
Mar 31, 2024
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When the San José sank in a battle against the British in 1708, the ship was carrying what is believed to be the most expensive cargo ever shipped from the New World, including more than 7 million pesos, 116 steel chests full of emeralds, and 30 million gold coins, according to court documents. Very interesting read- Source: https://pca-cpa.org/en/cases/300/

Looking for more in documents...
This case parallels the current arbitration case between Odyssey Marine Exploration (remember them?) and Mexico. No shipwreck this time, but the world’s largest phosphate (think fertilizer) deposit. Odyssey is suing for $2.2B under NAFTA; the decision is expected in the second quarter of this year.

Physics guy

Greenie
Mar 31, 2024
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unbelievable. Who could take the Colombian government seriously after such a display?
It seems that both SSA and MAC found that a change in government results in prior agreements being tossed, unless I’ve misinterpreted events. And the avenue for legal disputes seems to have moved to trade treaties and arbitration court. Does Switzerland (MAC) have a trade treaty with Colombia? Without a commercial partner, Colombia will have to foot the recovery bill themselves.

PTid

Nov 2, 2021
It seems that both SSA and MAC found that a change in government results in prior agreements being tossed, unless I’ve misinterpreted events. And the avenue for legal disputes seems to have moved to trade treaties and arbitration court. Does Switzerland (MAC) have a trade treaty with Colombia? Without a commercial partner, Colombia will have to foot the recovery bill themselves.
Recovery of the San Jose commences this summer. Nat Geo will be making a documentary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread