Coronal Institute
Boys dormitory

1132 Belvin St., San Marcos Texas

Digging history one piece at a time
or
How to kill time when your semi retired

By Jeff W.
and hunting partner John V.

Well after many years talking with my wife Kathy about retiring and becoming a full time treasure hunter she has given me her blessings to “ semi-retire” and give my dream a chance. We moved from north Texas to central Texas in June of 2004. Over the course of several years I have kept going back to one research project that I really wanted to hunt and do a story on, The Cornell Institute in San Marcos.

The Cornell Institute got its start from Confederate officer O. A. Hollingsworth in 1868. It was a private, coeducational school and offered military training to boys.
The building the institute was in was destroyed years ago and now has a public school where it once stood. So this hunt will be on the grounds of the boys dormitory.

The boys dormitory has been many things over the last hundred years. After the turn of the century it closed down and sat empty until it was used as a training ground and barracks during World War 1. It reopened as the Coronal Military Academy after World War 1, but didn’t stay open long because enrollment was low the school finally closed in 1919. In the early 20’s it became a veterans' hospital and then became the Hays county hospital for many years. San Marcos Baptist Academy used it till they sold the building and moved out west of San Marcos a few miles. It became an American Legion Post for a time in the 60’s, and finally ended up being a fraternity house in 1968.
I have read several articles about the dormitory that state it is haunted.

John is retired from the city of San Marcos and is known around town for his treasure hunting adventures. I had the good luck of meeting John last spring while he was hunting one of the local parks. John has been a great friend and teacher sharing his vast knowledge of coin hunting and his uncanny ability to find rings.

I started my relic/coin hunting in Virginia the 60’s but didn’t take to the detector very well and started digging old home dumps with my mother. She still has a nice collection of bottles that she has dug. Giving up my dream of striking it rich. I grew up and had many other adventures . When I did get back into coin/relic hunting, my youngest took a interest in it so she became my official digger. ,So it was only natural that when she graduated from high school she wanted to become a archeologist and go to Texas State University in San Marcos Texas. That is how I came to be here and now the story of the hunt.

Attachments

• mostwanted7.jpg
    mostwanted7.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,021

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks like a GREAT site, and some nice research to go along with it. Can't wait for an update....hint hint :D

Jason

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I read a book about the Cornell fire a couple of years back. If I could remember the name of it, there were some excellent before and after photos of the buildings that had been damaged and the rest of the campus grounds. Of course, I'm sure they have tons of photos right there on the grounds, huh?

OP
OP
Old Fart in TN

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I never did get to have a face to face with the owner. Was told by several people that knows the family that he would never allow me to hunt the grounds. Alot has happened in my life and now find my self in east Tn. I do have all the info on property and number and address of the owner if anyone would like to try to do a hunt here. all the info is in storage till the new house is finished. Sorry I wasn't able to finish the story. Jeff Tx

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I dont know if thats city propert but I will tell you San marcus does not allow detecting in its parks or river,

OP
OP
Old Fart in TN

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
No Cornell is private property. City parks are hit and miss I hunted them for over a yr and never had a problem. Sewell park is owned by Texas State and was a great coin and ring location. Not many hunters in San Marcos and the ones I do know of are great guys.PM me and will tell you how to contact them. Schools in the area have also been good for a few dollars too. the smaller towns around I only hit about once amonth and did well at their parks. Call on the race track in Kyle. if you are standing at the ticket booth the hill to your left is where the kids slide down. I think I was the first to hunt the track and found over 30 dollars in change the first 3 sundays hunting. PM me and will give you the names and numbers of the owners. The parking lot is a good place to hunt after a saturday night of racing have found several bills and phones.( gold neckless also) Look along the fence to the south and to the west of the parking lot. Hope this helps the ones still in central Tx. Merry Christmas everyone Jeff Tx/Tn

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I recently found out that you can metal detect (In The Water Only) in San marcus but not on land I will be there this week monday and tuesday. woohoooo ;D

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Damn shame the old building burned down recently. It likely was haunted if anything is haunted. Good article on it in Wesley Treat's book Weird Texas.

Any of you fellow San Marcos treasure hunters want to get together at Grin's and talk shop just let me know.

Jeff
[email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread