Sand stone or sandcast mold pieces ?

dadzilla

Jan 14, 2007
Texas Poast Oak Savannah
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 505
Went MDing yesterday with my dad on our River property we found a spot on top of a ridge near the river about 4 feet in diameter the made our detectors go crazy. We dug expecting to find some Iron relics or old square nails but what we found looks like sand stone all these pieces came out of 2 holes in the area we also found a small piece of flint razor sharp. Flint is not native to this area. All the pieces of stone are about the same thickness it is not salt anyone got any ideas what this might be? This Property in Leon County Texas on the Trinity river

Attachments

• sandrock 2.jpg
    sandrock 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 281

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
Perhaps it is cinnabar,the ore for Mercury. The Indians used it to make Vermilion to use in war paint.
Cinnabar is heavy for it's size and will leave a red streak on unglazed tile.

hasbeen

Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure myself. I do know that ealy natives would carry the flint with them, because, they realized it was their version of the American Express.

Laater...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dadzilla

Jan 14, 2007
Texas Poast Oak Savannah
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 505
thanks for the replies,
It doesn't look like cinnabar, I have collected that before in NV. desert. The stones are actually light weight.
The flint I agree, yes it was just like money to the Native American. This piece was a chad dropped while tool making. When it dries up a little I will be heading back out to look for more artifacts.

Anyone else got any ideas about the sand stone? Dose any one know about sand casting dose the sand pick up and retain part of the metal when it is molten and poured in .
This Place is steeped in history it is right beside a river that would flood and stall travellers for months at a time, next too Navarro Crossing and Camino Real (Old Spanish Trail) was within 25 miles.
Happy Hunting Dan

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions