Sandia Mountains Lost Treasure or Mines

KXMember

Dec 19, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
OKM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! Try looking for information about the Gran Quivera hoard. According to legend there are 16, not 20, lost burro loads of gold and silver that are yet to be recovered. I have more information, if you'd like it just let me know and I will find the book it's in somewhere in my insane heap I call a book shelf. Let me know how it goes!

Very interested if you're still around.

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
TEK 4000,TEK G2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im interested as well, im currently exploring and metal detecting in the sandias a lot lately the city parks arnt as sweet as being in the clean fresh air up there. Im always ready for adventure... HH

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are a ton of Spanish mines up there, I've found gold,silver,copper, selenite, fluorite,uranium, and sooo many others, let me know what you wanna hunt and I'll point you in the right direction.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hit you back, ya i have grid coords for google earth and some are a short walk some are a day a loooong day

Demi

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to get in on this. Completely new to metal detecting but want to do some sort of activity this summer. I am also looking into gold dredging but the laws seem a bit harder on that.

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
Sierra Madre and Sierra Ladrone are the mountains with the Gold mines... oddly both are now Wildlife refuges, and the canyon in wich the guy was found dead is closed to anyone not on the Isleta Indian Pueblo Tribal Counsil's ok to go list!

Hi Dustedyou (or whoever stumbles across this and wants some central NM ideas)

The Ladrones do not have any significant recorded Gold deposits, though the range is still accessible (only part is the refuge). NMT report on the district is pretty depressing. Don't know where the Sierra Madre is in NM (?)

Sandias have more interesting mineralization, esp. in the N end, but the range is so contorted and twisted where the minerals are (except the argentiferous Galena - yawn) that it's hit and miss.

Bland was a bigger locale, but access is now poopy (thanks, reprehensible anti-citizen bureaucrats...)

The main eyeball Gold was over in the Ortiz area - Old and New Placers by Cerillos, Golden, etc. Bummer access, but the local gold club has a claim.

Small placers in Placitas canyon, and one older, lower-down one swallowed up by KAFB.

Magdelenas and San Mateos have more recorded gold. At one point Rosedale was the major producer in the state.

Supposed to be mine in the Manzanos, but the recorded stuff is spotty and access is difficult/nonexistent by vehicle.

Lots of copper around though. Just follow the Abo for low-grade green stains...

kingsane

May 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone point me in the right direction. i need all the info i can get please and thank you i have alot of free time and been looking found some interesting leads but looking for more

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I did just get lost treasures and old mines, a new Mexico federal writers project book. Been reading it for a few days now.

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I liked the story of the Lost burro mine--Juan Mantagon??? It has been years since I read it in the Spanish Archives

Are you in Santa Fe? Are you looking for a prospecting partner?

Barton

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
TEK 4000,TEK G2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im always up for a hunt in the Albuquerque area or mountains if interested just let me know. PM me or shoot me a text 5052594419

Garypederson

Aug 4, 2020
Payson, Az, Avila beach, Ca, Naples, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug & Whites Spectra 3vi & Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just bought an old lost treasure magazine, Oct, 2002. That article on Sandia mountain treasure ( bankloot) is in that issue. Good Article. Said most of the treasure was found not more than 30 minute walk from Tramway Road. Article written by Margaret Lewis. She quoted her sources as Albuquerque Citizen 1893 and Albuquerque Morning Demo rat 1894. Hope this helps. Gary

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought an old lost treasure magazine, Oct, 2002. That article on Sandia mountain treasure ( bankloot) is in that issue. Good Article. Said most of the treasure was found not more than 30 minute walk from Tramway Road. Article written by Margaret Lewis. She quoted her sources as Albuquerque Citizen 1893 and Albuquerque Morning Demo rat 1894. Hope this helps. Gary

Thanks Gary, I have that issue. Happy Hunting, TC-NM

Apr 8, 2023
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for information concerning hidden treasure (or mines) located in the Sandia Mountains, NM. There was a story written in Lost Treasure or Treasure magazine about 20, 25 or 30 years ago, I think? What I recall in the story during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 Pueblo Indians hid or covered entrance sites to what were Spanish mines.

Anyone heard or have any leads to this legend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TC-NM
I have that magazine you are talking about. Message me and I’ll take pictures of the pages and send it to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions