SAW SOMETHING SHINY IN THE HOLE TODAY

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I decided to go to a city festival today, played some games and ate some food. Then I decided why not do a little metal detecting. I've detected this area before but never found any older coins. Within the first 15 minutes I dug a 1945 Mercury dime. :o I know it's not much compared to all the older silver coins most of you find but I was thrilled to find this today. I kept digging for another two hours and couldn't find any more silver, found 6 clad dimes and 10 pennies.

I felt like I was on display along with the festival, people kept driving by looking at me while I was detecting,along with many police officers. As I was finishing up for the day,one of the officers waved at me and smiled. I love that place,they just let you detect freely. ;D

Attachments

• Merc1.jpg
    Merc1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 685
Upvote 0
My first silver coin was a Merc - I'm still smiling!!!!

I think that the Mercury dime is one of the most attractive coins ever minted in the US - I just can't decide which one I like the most - Mercury or Standing Liberty - both pretty ladies to find looking up at you after a dig!!!! ;D

Congratulations - beautiful coin.

Nice find. Back in 1962 I was vending manager for Pepsi.That was when the coins were silver & the coin boxes were full of them. I never dreamed I would be digging in the ground & be glad to find one today.

Silver is alway's a good thing,no matter what it is.Nice find!!

Yep! I agree....that's one of my favorite's to find!!!!

Congrats!!!

;)

Nice find..silver is sweet. Ever thought of offering your detecting services to the police? Could be a door opener for some nice sites currently unavailable to you.

ooohhh yyyaaa,,, ya gotta love mercs,, i would rather find one of them than a barber,,very nice ,, many many more ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back