School Sale Find plus a historical bonus!

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I stopped by a local school today that was having a thrift sale. I was browsing the books and found an older 1933 Literature and Life Book One that was pretty beat up. One of the employees told me that most of the books for sale were withdrawn from the library because they are out of date, too old and beat up to use, or old textbooks and reading materials. I started browsing the book and near the beginning I found a list of soldiers (some were listed as killed in action) written on a page. I asked the employee about the list and she didn't know what that was from, but as long as she has been here the student's would write to soldiers and keep updated lists of who they corresponded with. Given the book was printed in 1933, I assume it was still around during WWII and the list of soldiers may be from that era. I bought the book for a dollar and headed home. Not too much of a book collector, but for a dollar I thought it might be interesting to research the soldiers names. I would have included a pic, but my forgettful self misplaced the camera, so I will post pictures later when I find it.

OP
OP
starwarsblazer

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Still cannot find my camera, so I will have to keep looking BUT I did some research on the names and found that all of the soldiers listed did serve in WWII and were from my neighborhood on the west side of Grand Rapids. All of the soldiers also attended my high school, Union High School. The only soldier that I could come up with some good information is George Dubis. George served with the 67th Fighter Squadron in the Pacific during WWII. He flew a bomber named "Miss Grand Rapids" and was on record for shooting downa KI-44 'Tojo' over IndoChina during the war. He survived WWII and stayed in the military and ultimately served in Korea. Unfortunately George Dubris was killed in a freak plane accident in 1955 in Korea while serving his country. I am stoked that I was able to find out this much just from a name in the book :thumbsup:

Next week I will head to the Veteran's Home and attempt to get some information on the other soldiers listed. The picture here is of George and of his squad in the Pacific (George Dubris is second from the right in the top row). A lot of cut and pasting so the picture may be a little blurry. More information to follow as I learn it!

Attachments

• resized george dubis.jpg
    resized george dubis.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,221

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions