scrapped a computer

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
jerseyben said:
I scrapped my first computer this weekend. Just for kicks, I decided to keep the heatsink over the CPU. Well, I'm glad I did because it looks like they actually sell on ebay. I saw them selling between $5-$30.

Thanks for the great idea. I didn't realize you could sell old heatsinks as parts. How did you identify their make/model/spec/whatever was needed to describe exactly what you were selling? When I looked at heatsinks before, I did not see any markings, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
Not all CPU heatsinks are going to sell on Ebay.. you need to know the CPU socket # it comes from.. you might do okay with Socket 478's anything older than that and you may as well take it in for extrusion. The CPU socket number is usually listed on the socket itself or on the motherboard.

You really want Socket 775's, AM2, Socket 754 and Socket 939.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
BCR said:
Not all CPU heatsinks are going to sell on Ebay.. you need to know the CPU socket # it comes from.. you might do okay with Socket 478's anything older than that and you may as well take it in for extrusion. The CPU socket number is usually listed on the socket itself or on the motherboard.

You really want Socket 775's, AM2, Socket 754 and Socket 939.

Hope this helps.

What about a "Dell Precision 490 PowerEdge T5400 CPU Heatsink JD210"? That's what I pulled out of the Dell I scrapped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread