Search the Outter Banks?

oravikmatt

Nov 8, 2004
Dahn Tahn Pittsburgh, US of A
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-X
Has anyone ever searched beaches on the Outer Banks? When I was younger I went there on vacation with my family so I took my metal detector along thinking that was a great place to try it. I searched the beaches a few times but the machine I had was crap. All I found was old rusty nails by the dozens, some only inches under the surface! I couldn't believe that nobody had gotten one in their foot. Anyway, after the trip my mother was so angry about all these nails I found she emailed someone down there and complained about the nails on the beach. They told her I was lucky I didn't get caught using my detector because I would have been fined! We had no idea it was illegal to use one down there. We didn't see any signs anywhere so how were we supposed to know. My mom replied to the lady and said that they probably don't want people to use metal detectors there because they would find all these huge nails in the sand and never want to come back.
I did manage to find some coins but they were all modern. And one very cheap ring that almost looked home made. You can see the place where it was soldered together. It was just a band of some type of cheap metal and it had a little inscription scratched onto it.
But I was just wondering if anyone else ever got to hunt there and found anything worthwhile.

-Matt.

Upvote 0

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I would think that they would want you to clean them up. To get rid of the liability of injury.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Do a search on Yahoo or something for "SEAWEED AND THE SODA POP PIRATES". They are a hunting club that searches the Outer Banks faithfully. They have a lot of photos of their finds. They also have a message board. I've been trying to contact them but can never get a response. It's still an awesome site!!!
David

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They are often on the other beach hunting forum with another site. But they sure do find some interesting stuff out on the legal part of the Otter Banks. You just can't go to the National Park part. I went down there in the early 1970s and tried to hunt the lower part of Hatteras where the Civi War fort was, I found nothing. I was lucky I didn't get arrested then, I didn't know it was illegal either, but that would be no excuse now. They used to be somewhat passive back then when the law was new, but not anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread