What's new

Searching Pennies

stumpy041486

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hey

I just picked up my first box of pennies. What all should I look for besides wheats and coppers. I was reading a thread a couple weeks ago that had several other things to look for, but I can't find it. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Depends on what you like to collect, or if you save the coppers...hoard.

Personally, I toss back most of the memorial coppers as its not worth my time to pick out. The only exceptions are I will save AU coppers when I see them, or if a bag is mainly copper and I only have to pick out a few zincolns, then I may keep them. The extra time needed to read every date since I hand sort just isn't worth the payback to me and with the number of pennies I go through, it would cut into my CRH budget pretty good unless I had a reliable easy way to sell them.

possibilities include...
* wheats and older (easy choices for most)
* Odd ball hard to find memorials... 1960 small date and 1970-S small date
* proof coins (not many penny proofs found in circulation)
* coppers (pre-1983)
* Canadian/foreign coins (depending on where you live you may find large volumes of Canadian coins)
* Error coins (potentially very time consuming to look for, depending on how you search)
* Lincoln cents counterpunched with different states or other various symbols such as a likeness of JFK or the liberty bell...
* Coins with holes in them (not valuable since they have officially been damaged, but I think I know of at least one person who collects such things...making the holes yourself doesn't count)

Anything else I forgot?
 
GMan00001 said:
Depends on what you like to collect, or if you save the coppers...hoard.

Personally, I toss back most of the memorial coppers as its not worth my time to pick out. The only exceptions are I will save AU coppers when I see them, or if a bag is mainly copper and I only have to pick out a few zincolns, then I may keep them. The extra time needed to read every date since I hand sort just isn't worth the payback to me and with the number of pennies I go through, it would cut into my CRH budget pretty good unless I had a reliable easy way to sell them.

possibilities include...
* wheats and older (easy choices for most)
* Odd ball hard to find memorials... 1960 small date and 1970-S small date
* proof coins (not many penny proofs found in circulation)
* coppers (pre-1983)
* Canadian/foreign coins (depending on where you live you may find large volumes of Canadian coins)
* Error coins (potentially very time consuming to look for, depending on how you search)
* Lincoln cents counterpunched with different states or other various symbols such as a likeness of JFK or the liberty bell...
* Coins with holes in them (not valuable since they have officially been damaged, but I think I know of at least one person who collects such things...making the holes yourself doesn't count)

Anything else I forgot?
There is also the indian head cents, but I think those fall under "Wheats or Older"
P.S. I've found a proof so, they ARE out there.
 

Attachments

  • 2001Sproof.webp
    2001Sproof.webp
    115.1 KB · Views: 416
  • 2001Sproof.webp
    2001Sproof.webp
    115.1 KB · Views: 411
i never even look for proof pennies since I'm pretty sure i won't get any :laughing9:, but today i got a really nice 2005-S that jumped out at me...it was beautiful ;D i also got a good amount of wheats, a Canadian, some new 2009 pennies, (i save them, roll them, and hope to sell them some day) and a butt lode of coppers. ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom