What's new

Seated Half - Seated dime - 1867 shield nickel sandwich!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I went for a hunt today, and wandered over to the "new" section where I hadn't hunted much. Glad I did

I got a choppy high signal on my CTX at a very shallow depth 3". Thought it was a shoddy clad schwag quarter, but when I dug in I couldn't find the darn thing. Rescan and it's still there. Finally at 7" down I see a coin pile and thought clad again. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432338833.692763.webpbut then I noticed the big coin and thought hey, maybe this is standing half...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432338880.430090.webplook at them Sa'miches!ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432338905.392118.webppried 'em apart.

I saw the writing and said Barber Half baby! And then...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432338986.358285.webpyeah I wiped it, so what! 1871-S Seated Half!!!

Cleaned up partially, will clean more tomorrow. The shield nickel is a 1867 without rays. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339046.158338.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339055.308865.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339067.697704.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339086.190192.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339118.795524.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339128.433709.webpback together again!ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339138.624510.webp

I'm very excited about this find. Aaaaaand the Seated Half puts me at, drumroll...100 silver coins for the year. Phew!!!

I love this hobby. Happy Hunting everyone!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 58
WOW! Scrappy, that is sooooooooooooooo cool, I love that. Someday my seated will come and not be a seated half contemporary counterfeit.
Congrats!
 
AWESOME - WTG :icon_thumright:
 
Now that's one heck of a "coin spill"!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!:occasion14:
 
WOW! Scrappy, that is sooooooooooooooo cool, I love that. Someday my seated will come and not be a seated half contemporary counterfeit.
Congrats!

Thanks Brad. The counterfeit thought did cross my mind since most of my silver comes from the ground nice. I didn't think that corroded copper would stick to silver like it did. A counterfeit half would have be a tough pill to swallow since this coin was on my list
 
Epic coin spill, Sweeeet!!

Guess I'm not posting my first ever big silver after seeing this. Lol

Well I'm glad you did. Congrats to us!
 
A real bummer. I was so upset there were no rays that I almost threw the other coins in the garbage. Lol. Thx

Yeah no rays would be a deal breaker for me, I'd toss those pesky seated dime and half in the river:laughing7:
 
Dang great finds Scrappy. I now know who leads the New Jersey Silver Mafia NJSM.....YOU
 
Here are the coins cleaned up. I'm going to stop here and let them be as they are without any further cleaning.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432381719.150529.webp
 
Great spill, bummer there wasn't the penny and quarter to boot. :)
 
It don't really get much better than that.

 
Well it must be offshoot of the CSM Charlotte Silver Mafia headed by Carolina Tom
Nah, not Tom! He's just a simple Italian restaurant owner...
 
Great spill, bummer there wasn't the penny and quarter to boot. :)

A true detectorists way of thinking. More! I was looking for colonial yesterday and came away with nothing. I felt upset for a second then was like "are you kidding me?!" to myself. Lol
 
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433007689.404597.webpI made a nice display of 4 series of Half Dollars since I can't go detecting. Enjoy!
 
Wow Steve, I missed this post somehow. Congrats on the super coin spill and especially the seated half!!
 
That's wicked cool:occasion14:
 
That's quite a nice little coin spill there Steve. Never dug a seated half myself. And congrats on #100!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom