Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Time has been tough here, and not much diggin, but we got out once so this is the catch-up post. Got on a new spot, which appears to be a bit newer, but still a chance of some antebellum items, and hopes for some more seateds as we explore this new site. First on the video you'll see a catch-up of a couple finds including a plow-struck late date seated dime I dug out with DiggerGirl. Then the cameras roll and we're on a new spot.

The first thing I dug in the new site was an 1864 IH that I'm almost positive has the pointy bust that indicates that it's an "L." Let me know if it is. It is surely the nicest IH I've ever dug down here. It's strange, I also dug the nicest wheat I've ever dug down here too.

HPIM4536.JPG HPIM4537.JPG

Not too often I get excited about a wheat, but when every copper coin I've dug down here is crusty and flaking apart, it's nice to get a couple real greenies! Soil in South Louisiana is so waterlogged that it destroys coppers, but this spot is high enough ground that they seem to be fine. It has me hoping for a Large Cent or Colonial in the vicinity due to the nice condition of the copper coins I dug this trip. Here is the 1864. I'd appreciate a second (and third...) opinion on whether it is the L or not:

HPIM4541.JPG HPIM4542.JPG

Here is the seated I dug on the previous short hunt, along with a V nickel dug from a trashy mess of turn-of-the-century quarter houses:

HPIM4533.JPG HPIM4534.JPG

HPIM4531.JPG HPIM4532.JPG

HPIM4530.JPG HPIM4529.JPG

I also got another IH, then eyeballed a Shield Nickel that had washed out and was laying right on top of the ground:

180_0689.JPG

HPIM4543.JPG HPIM4544.JPG

Then all of a sudden, Shanegalang walked up on a Cannonball sticking out of the side of a turn row! You'll have to watch the video to see this find removed from the dirt.

180_0698.JPG

I also dug another find that I had recovered one of back in Indiana six or seven years ago: A Boyd's Battery. The daisy-shaped central part of the pendant on this quack medical device from the late 19th century is unmistakable:

HPIM4538.JPG Boyds Battery.jpg

And here is a group shot of my finds from the hunt. The marked Wm. Trowbridge brass valve key is from a company in New Orleans. I included an ad from the 1886 New Orleans directory (thanks Bramblefind!).

HPIM4535.JPG 143qm81.jpg

Cheers,

Buck

Upvote 16
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds there Buckleboy! Love that seated...Do you know what the looped thing is in your last picture? I found the same thing but I forget what they're called:unhappysmiley:

That's a gag loop. It is horse hardware. I was pleased to get a nice green example that wasn't bent all to hell or trashed.

gag loop.jpg

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Thanks! Well a sweet find it is:thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you guys were finally able to get back out. I see you scored your usual silver although not as old as I'm sure you would have liked. That cannonball is a cool find too, especially being eyeballed in the dirt like that. Good luck on your next outing.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you guys back out again, nice 1864L

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a tough call on the IH...at least looking at it on my phone. Nice silver and cannonball. You two make a great team!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you guys were finally able to get back out. I see you scored your usual silver although not as old as I'm sure you would have liked. That cannonball is a cool find too, especially being eyeballed in the dirt like that. Good luck on your next outing.

It's not a cannonball. In the video he takes it out and it has a brass coating on the bottom of it. :( Yes, the silver was not as old as I wished. That's ok. It's sites like these that can give some great CW relics.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread